Phone: 519-888-4567 x43408
Office: EC3 2009
As Associate Director, Dr. Trevor Holmes oversees the Senior Educational Developers at the Centre for Teaching Excellence. His focus is on our strategic priorities and overall approach to supporting teaching at Waterloo.
Prior to joining CTE in 2007, Trevor worked at a variety of universities teaching courses, supporting faculty and teaching assistants through educational development offices, and advising undergraduates. Trevor earned a PhD (English, York University) with the dissertation "Goth Rhizomes: Queer Difference in Minor Gothic Literature." A popular workshop facilitator at the national and international levels, Trevor is also interested in questions of identity in teaching and teaching development. Since 2015, he has taught introductory courses in the Gender and Social Justice program (formerly Women’s Studies).
- Raffoul, J., Ward, J., Calvez, S., Kartolo, A., Haque, A., Holmes, T., Attas, R., Kechego, J., Kustra, E., & Mooney, J. (2022). Institutional structures and individual stories: experiences from the front lines of Indigenous educational development in higher education. AlterNative: An International Journal of Indigenous Peoples, 18(1), 163–172.
- Blackwell, J. and Holmes, T. (2020), "An Archive Assignment in Women’s Studies 101: Designing Hands-on Learning in a Large Class", Sengupta, E., Blessinger, P. and Cox, M.D. (Ed.) International Perspectives on Improving Student Engagement: Advances in Library Practices in Higher Education (Innovations in Higher Education Teaching and Learning, Vol. 26), Emerald Publishing Limited, Bingley, pp. 145-165.
- (2018) The flourishing of care in a multidisciplinary Faculty Learning Community, International Journal for Academic Development, 23:4, 367-373
- Co-Editor and contributor, "Political geographies in academic development." Special issue, International Journal for Academic Development (17:3, 2012).
- Co-Editor and contributor, "Thinking otherwise in academic development." Special issue, International Journal for Academic Development (12:1, 2007)
- Various contributions to the field of Gothic Studies
- Founding Chair of the Council of Ontario Educational Developers, an Affiliate of the Council of Ontario Universities
- Co-founded the Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, serving two terms as Vice-Chair, Communications
- Won the 1997 York University Senate Committee on Teaching & Learning Parents’ Association University-Wide Teaching Award for Teaching Excellence)