Congratulations to all Co-op Student of the Year Award recipients.
2018 Co-op Student of the Year Award recipients
Public Health, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Employer: FullSoul Canada
- Worked as International Consultant - Project Manager, where she developed the Midwives Meeting Minutes initiative.
- Improved awareness of FullSoul's purpose and program by 50% in hospitals in Uganda.
- Increased the percentage of midwives formally trained to use donated equipment from 40% to 75%
- Coordinated and facilitated FullSoul's annual fundraising trip to Uganda for donors and supporters - raising $13,000 USD
- Volunteers with on-campus programs Move your Mind and Not Just Tourists.
Speech Communication, Faculty of Arts
- Trusted to help with performance reviews, employee development plans and compensation strategy.
- Encourage Wealthsimple to increase the amount of co-op students they hire, resulting in the company's largest group of Engineering co-op students to date.
- Worked closely with engineering directors and CTO to build out new recruiting processes.
- Hired to work part-time at Wealthsimple after completing her work term.
- Served as treasurer for the Thyroid Foundation of Canada, raising over $100,000.
Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
Employer: Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Harvard University
- Served as Wyss Institute Visiting Undergraduate Student.
- Helped develop bioink to improve cell proliferation and phenotype in vascularized tissue on 3D printed kidney models, decreasing cell proliferation rates from 21 days to three to five days.
- Co-founded the University of Waterloo's Biotechnology an Bioengineering Conference.
- Aspires to create wearable consumer devices that will shape healthcare.
- Awarded the Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Canada 2018 Co-op Student of the Year Award.
Environment and Business, Faculty of Environment
Employer: Microsoft Corporation
- Served as Xbox Marketing Associate.
- Created a digital content series for Xbox's Canada Day promotion, becoming Xbox Canada's most successful organic campaign to date.
- Led the 'Xbox Mystery Box' program, educating 2,000 retail staff to drive promotion and sale of Xbox products.
- Co-developed Microsoft 'Tech Empowerment Day' to offer access to technology and workshops for underprivileged youth.
- Aspires to continue a career in marketing with environmental sustainability in mind.
Computer Science, Faculty of Mathematics
Employer: Aetion Inc.
- Served as a Full Stack Engineering student.
- Took ownership over the Histogram Plot project, rewriting the code used to generate histogram bins and label sizes.
- Solved longstanding issues around Schoenfeld and Pyramid plots.
- Helped develop a new feature in the Aetion Evidence Platform to capture drug usage and switching patterns, allowing scientists to distinguish the effects of different drugs.
- Volunteers for Feds Student Food Bank, where she helps organize marketing campaigns and events.
Biochemistry, Faculty of Science
Employer: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Served as a Clinical Research Assistant.
- Studied the safety and efficiency of an ultrasound device in its first in-human trial for treating fibroids, creating new processes to decrease the time required to manage the study by 20%.
- Studied the prevalence and predictors of shortness of breath in patients at palliative radiotherapy clinic, allowing physicians to approach symptom management in a holistic way.
- Helped patients complete symptom screens, provide physicians with summaries of patient cases, and collaborate to improve patient flow.
- Active member of AIESEC Waterloo.