Showcase your international impact and experience
The where in the world!? photo contest is an annual contest for you to share your co-op experiences abroad during international education week.
Submit a photo that:
- highlights your experience living in a multicultural society, whether observing daily life or capturing meaningful moments while abroad.
- captures a feeling, your photo may be inspiring, joyful, sombre, or anything in between.
- shows how you're helping to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and making a difference to transform our world while at work.
If you worked outside of Canada during your fall 2022, winter 2023 and/or spring 2023 co-op work terms, you would have received an email near the end of your work term calling for photo submissions. The winners will be decided during International Education Week from November 13 to 17, 2023. Learn more about submissions and the selection process. If you have any questions, please reach out to Laura Anderton.
Winners will receive a cash prize on their WatCard!
First place $250
Second place $150
Contest submission and selection process
- Submit your photo by Friday, October 27, 2023.
- You can only submit one (1) photo per work term (fall 2022 and winter 2023 and spring 2023) to each category.
- You must be currently enrolled as a Waterloo student.
- You must have been on a Waterloo-sanctioned international work term at the time of your photo was taken.
- Your photo must be taken at a location outside of Canada.
- Your photo cannot be from working remotely for a Canadian employer while located outside of Canada.
- Your photo must be submitted in a high-resolution quality.
- Your photo must be appropriate to share publicly.
- We recommend not including other people in your photo as you need their permission to do so if their faces are clearly visible in the photo. If there are other people in the photo, make sure they are aware it could be shared widely through social media. You might need permission to submit the photo if it is at your place of employment.
- Co-operative Education reserves the right to make minor edits to the photo and description for voting and printing.
- A selection committee will vote to shortlist a total of ten (10) photos from all submissions. You will be notified by email if your photo was selected to appear in the photo showcase.
- Our campus community will vote for their favourite photo/story via an online survey in November.
- Please note: Your name and ID number will not appear on the photos in the online survey in order to maintain anonymity. The online survey for voting will be shared with the Waterloo community, but non-Waterloo individuals may be able to access the survey as well.
- Winners will be announced on November 2023 and notified via e-mail.
- Co-operative Education may print and mount the shortlisted photos after the photo showcase for display in the Tatham Centre, including student name and program.
Submit your photo
Information and privacy: questions regarding the collection of information on this form can be directed to the form administrator.