How to: Access different WaterlooWorks job boards
To view co-op jobs on WaterlooWorks, you must be on a recruiting term and unemployed for the upcoming work term. You must also have accepted the code of conduct and submitted your job search intentions on WaterlooWorks.
Once you’ve completed the steps above, click “Search Postings” from your WaterlooWorks dashboard. You'll have access to specific job boards based on your program and level.
WaterlooWorks job boards
|Hire Waterloo Co-op||Co-op jobs are advertised to all students enrolled in a co-op program on WaterlooWorks.
To search for co-op jobs, select one of the following and check the appropriate important dates calendar for a full list of job posting dates, application deadlines, interview timelines and more.
|Hire Waterloo: Other jobs||Jobs that don't quite fit our standard work term requirements are posted in the "Hire Waterloo Other Jobs" board
|Hire Waterloo: Full-time jobs||As a graduating student (Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate), you can participate in the job search process beginning in the fall term prior to convocation.
To search for graduating or full-time jobs, select "Hire Waterloo Full-time Jobs" from your WaterlooWorks dashboard. Check daily beginning in September - organizations start recruiting in the fall for graduating students from both co-op and regular program.
|External Job Boards||This portal contains a number of job boards containing a variety of jobs, some of which could be eligible for co-op credit through the arrange own job process. Please note that only jobs meeting the standard or flexible work term requirements will be approved for co-op credit.|
To search for jobs on WaterlooWorks, you must be on a recruiting term and unemployed for the upcoming work term. You must also have accepted the code of conduct and submitted your job search intentions on WaterlooWorks.
Once you’ve completed the steps above, click “Search Postings” from your WaterlooWorks dashboard. You'll have access to specific job boards based on your program and level (see above for a full list).
Once you’ve chosen the appropriate job board, you can filter your search using the pre-populated “Quick Search” categories, or filter using keywords and regions.
- You can search for keywords within each job posting by using the “Keyword” search bar.
- Some keywords to try:
- Job categories (e.g., marketing, accounting, finance)
- Position titles (e.g., policy analyst, design student)
- Job IDs (if you already know the specific Job ID, you can type it here)
- Location (e.g., city, region, province, state, country, postal code)
Region filter menu
You can search for specific geographic regions using the “Region” filter
To find the list of cities mapped to each region, visit this page
- Tip: To include multiple regions in your search, hold down the “Ctrl” key as you select region filters
Use this feature to search using detailed criteria and/or multiple criteria at once
- In the “Keyword” search box - do not put a comma between multiple keywords
- In the “Region” search box - use a comma, but no spaces, between multiple regions
- In the “Job Posting Information” section, you can select one or more NOC codes as part of your search criteria
- In the “Targeted Degrees and Disciplines” section, you can search using thematic clusters or academic clusters. There are two types of advertising clusters for employers to choose from:
- Thematic clusters, which reflect the function of the job
- Academic clusters, which reflect groupings of our various academic programs
- To learn more about thematic and academic clusters, visit this page
Save your search
WaterlooWorks allows you to save your search criteria so you can easily search the same thing again. You can also choose to have the system notify you via email if a new job that matches your saved search criteria is posted. You are allowed to save up to five searches on each job board.
To create a saved search:
- Create the criteria for your saved search
- Click “Save My Search Criteria” and give it a title
- Select whether you'd like to receive email notifications when new job postings matching your criteria are added.
- Click “Save”
To run a saved search:
- Click “Search Postings” from your dashboard
- Select which job board you’d like to search (e.g., “Hire Waterloo Co-op”)
- Select the search from the “My Saved Searches” drop-down list
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is a system used by the Government of Canada to sort jobs into categories to give job seekers, employers, career counselors and labour market analysts a consistent way to collect data related to different occupations. NOCs can help you to learn more about your field of interest and discover other occupations that you might not have considered.
In WaterlooWorks, each job posting includes an NOC code that we can use to understand more about where students are working. We’ve collected and summarized the data for certain programs for you to use in your search:
To view a job directly from your search results, click on the job title or the blue “View” button. From the job description, you'll be able to shortlist, move the job to your “Not Interested” list and apply.
On each job description, you’ll see:
- Job posting information provided by the employer (e.g., job summary, required skills, location, responsibilities, work term duration, compensation, targeted degrees and disciplines, etc.)
- Application information - requirements to apply to the position (e.g., resume, cover letter, grades, etc.)
- Company information
- A “Map” tab displaying a google map of the company’s address
While searching for jobs, you’ll see a list of search results that match the criteria you entered. From here, you can continue to filter for more specific results, or add jobs to your shortlist.
Building your shortlist
- You can choose to shortlist jobs you’re interest in by clicking the “Shortlist” button next to each posting
- You can access your shortlist of jobs from the main “Search” page under “Quick Search”
- Once you apply to a job, it will remain on your shortlist
- To remove a job from your shortlist, click “unshortlist”
While searching for jobs, you’ll see a list of search results that match the criteria you entered. From here, you can continue to filter for more specific results, or specify those you’re not interested in.
|Adding jobs to your “not interested” list||If your search is returning jobs that you don’t want to see, you can click the trash can icon beside the job posting to add it to your “not interested” list. This will prevent you from seeing the job in any future searches.|
|View your "not interested" list||To view your "not interested" list, navigate to the "Jobs/Applications" tab and scroll down to the "Manage my not interested list" heading. From here, you can view and manage your "not interested" job list.|
|Bring back jobs from your "not interested" list||To bring jobs back from your “Not interested” list, navigate to the “Jobs Overview” page and select “Manage my Not Interested List” from within the “List Management Options” box.|