David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
The Cheriton School of Computer Science is named for David R. Cheriton, who earned his PhD in Computer Science in 1978, and made a transformational gift to the school in 2005. It has become the largest academic concentration of Computer Science researchers in Canada.
- May 24, 2023Jimmy Di awarded 2023 Vector Scholarship in Artificial Intelligence
Incoming master’s student Jimmy Di has received a 2023–24 Vector Scholarship in Artificial Intelligence from the Vector Institute. These merit-based entrance scholarships provide $17,500 for one year of full-time study and are awarded to top students who have been admitted into an AI-related master’s program in an Ontario university.
- May 22, 2023Justin Wan receives Arthur Beaumont Distinguished Service Award from CAIMS
Professor Justin Wan has received the 2023 Arthur Beaumont Distinguished Service Award from CAIMS, the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society. Named after its first recipient, the award was established in 1987 to honour Waterloo Applied Mathematics Professor Arthur Beaumont for his many years of service to the society.
- May 21, 2023PhD candidate Johann Wentzel makes virtual reality more accessible
Computer science doctoral candidate Johann Wentzel aims to make virtual reality more accessible for disabled people.
“Most of my work is in making VR more accessible for people with motor disabilities or impairments by using the input devices they already have rather than potentially inaccessible VR controllers,” Johann says.
For example, he looks at how to define meaningful VR experiences for someone who only has access to a button switch and a joystick on their power chair.
- May 29, 2023DSG Seminar Series • Characterizing Machine Learning I/O with MLPerf Storage
Please note: This seminar will take place in DC 1302.
Oana Balmau, Assistant Professor
School of Computer Science, McGill University
- June 2, 2023CrySP Speaker Series on Privacy • CVE-2022-23491, or Why PO Boxes Can’t be Root Certificate Authorities Anymore
Please note: This talk will take place in DC 3317 and online over Zoom.
Joel Reardon, Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Calgary
- June 6, 2023Seminar • Software Engineering • The Software Supply Chain Security Perspective
Please note: This seminar will take place online.
John Speed Meyers
Security Data Scientist, Chainguard