If you have received an Offer of Admission to Waterloo for an undergraduate program but wish to begin your studies in a later term, you may request a deferral of your admission.
- You must accept your Offer of Admission for the term to which you were initially admitted by the deadline stated on the offer.
- You will not be required to reapply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC).
- You must submit a written request (see below) at least one month prior to the beginning of the term to which you were initially admitted.
- You must explain your reasons for requesting the deferral and summarize your plans for the deferral period. Include your Waterloo ID number, first and last name, the program you are requesting the deferral for, and the term you would like to start your studies.
- Your deferral may not exceed 3 academic terms (1 year).
- Normally, a deferral will be granted only if you have not undertaken full-time academic studies during the deferral period unless those studies are deemed to enrich your education and will not negatively affect your admissibility. Each case will be considered on an individual basis.
- You must meet all conditions outlined on your original Offer of Admission by the date specified on that offer.
- A revised Offer of Admission will be sent, and you will need to confirm in writing your intention to enrol.
Deferring residence and scholarships
- You will be guaranteed a place in residence if you were initially admitted to a first-year program.
- For the year you were initially admitted, you will not be required to pay a residence deposit to hold your place in residence. You will be required to pay your deposit by the deadline for the term that you actually begin your studies at Waterloo. Details will be outlined when you receive your new Offer of Admission.
- If you received a President’s Scholarship for the term to which you were initially admitted, the scholarship will be held for you and will be applied to the term you begin your first-year studies.
- Consideration for other entrance scholarships will be on a case-by-case basis.
- If you're requesting a deferral for a graduate studies program (Master's or PhD), please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Many programs consider deferrals for a Fall term only. Residence is not guaranteed for any deferrals approved for the Winter term (January - April).
Submitting your deferral request
You can submit your request for deferred admission by e-mail, mail, or fax.
By e-mail (preferred method of communication)
ATTN: Manager, Admissions
Office of the Registrar
University of Waterloo
200 University Ave W
Waterloo ON N2L 3G1