At a glance
- Available as a co-op program only
- Starts in first year so apply directly to this program on your application
- Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
- Waterloo ranks top 100 in the world for Mechanical Engineering (QS World University Rankings 2015)
About the program
Mechanical engineers deal with any machine that moves, such as robots, motors, pumps, and vehicles.
As a graduate, you might design parts for small consumer products or design the latest commercial jets. You might work in industries ranging from manufacturing, robotics, and aerospace to biotechnology and the automotive sector.
At Waterloo, you'll have access to well-equipped labs for design and experimentation. You can gain hands-on experience by joining student teams such as the Formula SAE race car, Ethanol Vehicle Challenge, Midnight Sun solar car, SAE Cargo Aircraft, or CASI glider.
Through co-op, you'll gain 2 years of paid work experience relating to Mechanical Engineering. You'll also earn money to help pay for your education and test different career areas to see what you like.
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April or May to August
ME 100B - Seminar
ME 101 - Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Practice 2
ME 115 - Structure and Properties of Materials
GENE 123 - Electrical Circuits and Instrumentation
MATH 118 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
One Complementary Studies Elective Course
What other courses will you take?
- See the range of courses available in Mechanical Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Business Analyst, Transportation, Canadian Tire Corporation
- Facilities Team Project Assistant, MDS Nordion
- Assistant Design / Production Engineering, Tokai Rika Group
- Junior Project Supervisor, Air Liquide
- Mechanical Engineering Assistant, Smith & Andersen
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August
There is a second work-study sequence where co-op starts in the winter of first year.
- Processor Liability Coordinator, ArcelorMittal Dofasco Inc.
- Operations Program Manager, New Product, Apple
- Automation Engineer, Score Media
- Designer, Hitachi Canada Inc.
- Forensic Engineer, Samac Engineering Ltd.
- Integration Engineer, Ford Motor Co.
- President & CEO, BladeTech Hockey Inc.
- Aerospace Officer, Canadian Armed Forces
- Production Systems Control Engineer, General Motors of Canada Ltd.