Get creative. And still get an engineering degree.
Cross boundaries. Connect the dots. Look at the bigger picture. Systems Design is designed for people who want the rigour of an engineering degree plus the flexibility to explore topics outside traditional engineering disciplines.
You’ll examine the people, materials, tools, software, and other factors involved in any engineering problem. You’ll learn to look at the system as a whole and assess how one change will affect another element, using a variety of modelling, analysis, and design methods.
Our project-based approach gives you lots of opportunity to apply your learning to real problems. Plus you’ll get two full years of work experience through our co-op program.
Once you graduate, your options are wide open: our grads go on to engineering consulting, project management, graduate school, medical school, startups, and more.
200 electives = lots of choice
Systems Design is Waterloo’s most flexible engineering program — you can choose from 200 different electives.
Add international experience
Grab your passport and take advantage of Canada’s biggest engineering exchange program, with 81 opportunities in 30 countries.
Why Waterloo Engineering?
Systems Design Engineering admission requirements
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
Admission averages: Individual selection from the low to mid-90s
Complete the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Sign up for insider advice that can help you now and in the future. Topics include
- tips for a successful senior year of high school,
- how to choose a university program,
- differences between high school and university, and more.
September to December
May to August
After first year
Sample upper-year courses
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Product design/development
- Rapid prototype software developer
- Product manager
- User experience designer
- Application developer
- Control systems software designer co-op
- Machine learning developer
Sample co-op employers
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Intelligent Mechatronic Systems Inc
- Atomic Labs
What can I do with a degree in Systems Design Engineering?
Waterloo Systems Design Engineering graduates commonly pursue careers in business analysis, technology consulting, and applications engineering. They often utilize their interdisciplinary skills to work for manufacturing companies, accounting firms, technology companies, and more.
- Software Development Engineer – Amazon
- Hardware Program Manager – Microsoft
- Senior Solutions Engineer – D2L
- Software Engineer – Facebook
- Applications Engineer – Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada
- Software Engineer – Apple
- Energy Manager – Hydro Ottawa
Possible professional designation
Learn about the future of careers in engineering.