All official documents, including transcripts and English language test results, must be sent directly to the University by the issuing institution or testing authority.
Transcripts received electronically directly from the issuing institution or external examinations agency are considered official.
A paper transcript is considered official only if it is received by the University of Waterloo in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution or external examinations agency. If you are sending transcripts by courier, the documents must be in a sealed envelope within the courier package.
All transcript information is confidential, and envelopes must not be opened by the applicant. Photocopied, scanned, and faxed transcripts will not be accepted for admission consideration.
Transcripts must show
- All courses
- All grades
- The awarding of diplomas or degrees, if applicable.
If the transcript/degree certificate is not in English, a certified English translation (signed and stamped/sealed) must be included with the original language documents.
Transcripts issued by institutions within Canada do not require a translation.
Notarized documents must be sent directly to Waterloo from a notary public in a signed/sealed envelope in order to be considered official.
Any document that is not in English must be accompanied by
- an English translation and
- an affidavit stating the contents of the translation are a true representation of the contents of the original document.
The affidavit must come from the person who translated the document(s). University of Waterloo officials can accept only translations produced by a certified translator whose certification can be confirmed by a stamp or a membership number of a professional translation association. Translations by family members or friends are not acceptable.
English language test scores
The following English language test scores are considered official only if they are received by the University in a sealed envelope from the issuing testing agency.
- TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment)
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)
- PTE (Pearson Test of English)
Photocopied, scanned, or faxed score reports will not be accepted for admission consideration.
For more details, visit the English language requirements section of this website.
- All documents and transcripts submitted to Waterloo become the property of the University and will not be returned.
- All transcripts will be verified for authenticity. If evidence of misrepresentation or fraudulent or falsified documentation is found, the penalty is severe. The University of Waterloo reserves the right to revoke any offer of admission, residence, and/or financial support.
- We may disclose evidence of any misrepresentation or fraudulent or falsified documentation to all Canadian universities, to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and to law enforcement personnel when appropriate.
How to send your documents to Waterloo.