This guide is developed as a support tool to help you to successfully complete the performance appraisal form.
The form is broken up into five parts:
- Work performance factors
- Individual work performance factors
- Mutually agreed upon goals and objectives
- Evaluator's comments
- Staff member's comments
This section is to be completed for every staff member. These performance factors cannot be changed or substituted. These performance factors reflect the core performance behaviours that the University would like to see demonstrated across all staff members.
- Providing service excellence to clients (students, faculty and colleagues) both internally and externally.
- Responds to immediate customer needs
- Maintains customer contact
- Provides added value to services provided
- Provides seasoned and quality advice
- Ensures continued service excellence
- Working collaboratively with others to achieve organizational goals
- Functions as a part of a cooperative approach to getting work done
- Seeks input from other team members on matters that affect them
- Maintains constructive relationships with employees, peer and/or manager
- expresses ideas and concerns clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- proficient and confident in making formal presentations
- listens effectively
- keeps others appropriately informed of work related matters
Job knowledge and its application
- Demonstrates the knowledge and understanding which pertain to her/his assigned work responsibilities
- Quality of results, flexibility
- Effectiveness, thoroughness
- Accuracy, productivity
Taking the initiative to makes things better
- Generating viable, new approaches and solutions
- Creates new ideas, solutions or approaches to ongoing challenges
- Development of and receptivity to new ideas
- Makes suggestions on how to do things better
- Looks for opportunities to improve the workplace
- Encourages others to contribute and communicate their ideas
- Willingness to accept and promote change
This section allows evaluators to customize the form by selecting those factors which are appropriate to the job being done and the employee’s related performance, i.e. Supervision of staff; Operation and management of specialized equipment; Innovation; Financial Management. Some suggested areas of contribution are provided, however you may want to revise or add your own.
Achievement of goals and objectives
- Reflect on your goals from the previous year, comment on your completion, successes and challenges in completing the goals
- Willingly accepts responsibility and performs expected tasks
- Recognizes and encourages the contribution of others
- Works and interacts with others to accomplish overall group goals
- Willingly supports and works with team decision
- Proactive in resolving team conflicts
- Clarifies team roles and responsibilities
- Foster and develops potential of the team
- Recognizes and encourages the contribution of others
- Meets deadlines
- Uses time appropriately
- Establishes priorities
- Analyses reasonable alternatives and takes action in a timely manner
- Allocates and manages resources effectively
- Customize for items no included in general listing but which are important to the position or the individual's performance
- Consider competencies which may have been overlooked
Development / coaching of others
- Coaches for optimal performance
- Encourages creative and innovative approaches
- Recognizes and encourages risk taking when appropriate
- Allows mistakes and uses as an appropriate opportunity for development
- Provides constructive feedback
This area is intended to provide an opportunity for a staff member to provide feedback to their manager about topics such as adequacy of tools available to do one’s job, ergonomics of the workspace, safety issues (please note that safety concerns should be addressed immediately however action taken may be recorded here), training and development opportunities, workload issues, levels of communication and feedback provided by the manager, whether your job description is a reflection of what you do and/or any other interests or concerns.
Written completion of this section is not required but discussion is necessary.
This section is used to set future goals for achievement by mutual agreement. This section may require review throughout the year and revision as climate, resources and opportunities change.
- Record the result of any specific goals that were achieved through the year
- Make notes of any specific skills development that occurred related to the requirement of the position
- Identify specific skills to enhance/improve the contribution or performance of duties
- Identify any challenges that occurred and what happened
- Identify and specify training and development that occurred
This section allows the manager to add their specific comments related to the performance appraisal. The content should be based on factual data, preferably collected from a number of resources.
Areas you can gather information from to help you complete this section are:
- Goals and expectations that you and the employee have discussed
- Customer feedback
- Coworker feedback
- Feedback from other Supervisors
- Notes you have made throughout the year
- Emails from other people who have commented on the employee’s work
- Changes that have impacted performance such as reorganizations
Managers are expected to use the full range of evaluations as appropriate. The rating scale builds up from 1 to 5. For example, to be rated a 3 the staff member is performing at a fully satisfactory level in all key responsibilities. Below is the description of the ratings. For new staff, supervisors are encouraged to rate performance based on expected levels of accomplishment.
|5||Exceptional performance in all areas of the job requirements which is recognized throughout their unit or broadly throughout the University. Normally, an employee would not receive a rating of 5 in consecutive years. Reserved for truly exceptional performance.|
|4||Performance significantly exceeded the requirements of the job in one or more key areas.|
|3||Performance was fully satisfactory in all key areas.|
|2||Need for recognizable improvement in one or more key areas.|
|1||Performance was significantly below job requirements in several important areas and improvements will be required or reassignment or termination will be considered. Ratings at this level are subject to progressive disciplinary action.|
|Note: Evaluators may add a .25 (at 3 and above) or a .5 increment to a staff member’s rating to acknowledge performance that exceeds one category, but does not achieve the next.
Managers are expected to use the full range of evaluations as appropriate.
This section is for staff member comments. Staff members may add a separate page if there is inadequate room from comments.
The contents of the completed form are confidential. Please ensure that proper care is taken to protect the privacy of the staff member.
- Human Resources (signed originals)