Employment letters

Employment letters are available for all employee types at the University of Waterloo. These letters are often used to provide employment information to support items such as financing, Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) enrolments, immigration, etc.

Please note: Details of employment are available for the last seven years.

Out-of-country coverage and proof of benefit letters are available through GreenShield Canada. To request these letters, see the GreenShield Canada Letters table for more information.  

Regular, Casual, Temporary, or Definite-term employees

Letters for these employee types are available as a self-service request within Workday. These letters provide real-time employment information.

Campus users who require additional support can create a ticket via the Employment Letter SupportJira webform.

Log in to Workday to Request for Employment Letter and select an appropriate employment letter template. To view available templates, please see below.

Student or Terminated employees

Please submit an employment letter request in our Jira portal.  ​

Human Resources can provide a standard letter containing the following:

  • Position/Title
  • Employment type 
  • Salary
  • Hire and End Dates

Please note that this process will require five business days’ notice. 

Letter Templates

Employment Letter


  • Basic information (position/title, employment type, salary, hire and end dates)
  • Any applicable allowance plans or leave dates
Employment Letter for OHIP


  • Basic information (position/title, employment type, salary, hire and end dates)
  • Any applicable allowance plans or leave dates
  • Employee address on file
Employment Letter for Immigration


  • Basic information (position/title, employment type, salary, hire and end dates)
  • Employee address on file
  • Canadian National Occupation Codes (NOC)
Benefit Coverage Letter


  • Confirmation of medical insurance coverage
  • List of dependents covered
  • Confirmation of no vision coverage

GreenShield Canada Letters

Out-of-Country Letter

When travelling as a GreenShield Canada plan member with emergency out-of-country travel benefits, we recommend you carry with you: 

  • Your provincial health insurance card 
  • Your GreenShield Canada ID card (or a copy) 

These two documents are generally enough to allow GreenShield Canada plan members to enter many countries without the need of additional documentation. However, it may be required that that Canadians also take proof of additional travel insurance.   

Travel coverage letters are now handled by GreenShield Canada.

To obtain a Confirmation of Travel Insurance letter, you can email customer.service@greenshield.ca or contact their Customer Service Centre (Mon to Fri 8:30 am - 8:30 pm ET) at 1-888-711-1119 or through the GreenShield Canada contact form. Be sure to include your name, ID number, email address, and mailing address (if you prefer they mail the letter to you). 

Proof of Benefits Letter

GreenShield Canada has the ability to produce proof of benefits coverage letters which provides a dated letter with proof of existing coverage for an employee that also lists all of their dependents.

To request this, please contact GreenShield Canada by email at customer.service@greenshield.ca or by phone at: 1-888-711-1119. 

Please be prepared to provide your GreenShield Canada ID number when requesting this letter