Planning tutorials, labs, and guest lectures requires careful attention to goals, content, activities, and timing. In this module you'll learn to streamline your lesson preparations and strengthen your teaching. Using a popular model of lesson planning called “BOPPPS,” you’ll learn to design lessons that align learning activities and assessments with learning outcomes. You will analyse examples of successful lesson plans, and you'll begin to develop a lesson plan that is compatible with your teaching context and instructional style.
Although this workshop is scheduled over a period of several weeks, it is not a multi-day workshop. The content and expected effort are approximately equivalent to 4-5 hours, but spread over a longer timeframe so that you can move at your own pace.
This online workshop consists of:
- a set of asynchronous, self-paced tasks in LEARN, that must be completed by the due date of Wednesday, September 30 by noon (12:00 p.m.)
- a live synchronous session in Webex, that takes place on Wednesday, October 7 from 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Accessing the online module
The Fundamentals online module is located in the Fundamentals of University Teaching course in LEARN.
If you do not yet have access to the course, you will need to self-register for it. Please follow the directions on the Fundamentals self-registration webpage to add the course to your LEARN course list.
Please contact email@example.com if you experience any issues accessing this course after following the above instructions.
- Registration is required. CTE has a new registration system called GoSignMeUp. Before you can register for a workshop, you need to create an account (one time only). Once you’ve created an account, you can register for this workshop.
- Participants will receive an attendance credit towards the Fundamentals program if they complete all of the required tasks in the module, including all the module activities.
- Participants who do not complete all module activities by the due date will have their registration in the workshop cancelled, and will need to register again the following month.
This workshop has limited enrolment spots and often has a waiting list. If you have registered but can't complete the module, please cancel your registration well in advance through the registration system, so that someone else can fill your spot.
The University of Waterloo is committed to achieving barrier-free accessibility for persons with disabilities who are visiting, studying, or working at Waterloo. CTE’s online workshops are delivered through either WebEx, Microsoft Teams, or Bongo with the audio component available either as captioning or a transcript. CTE’s face-to-face workshops typically involve a mix of presentation and discussion-based activities, and we encourage a scent-free environment. We welcome accompanying assistants, interpreters, and note-takers. If you have questions concerning access, such as parking, building layouts, or obtaining workshop content in alternative formats, or wish to request accommodations for our programming, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that some accommodations may require time to arrange.