Research shows that engaging students through meaningful activities leads to deeper learning. This module will provide you with a toolkit of activities you can use to engage students in your class. You will learn about the concept of active learning and compare it to didactic lecturing. You’ll also uncover strategies for selecting activities to use and implementing them effectively. By the end of this module, you will be able to design and implement an active learning activity in your class.
Although this module is scheduled over a period of several weeks, it is not a multi-day workshop. The content and expected effort are approximately equivalent to 2-3 hours, but spread over a longer timeframe so that you can move at your own pace.
This online module consists of:
- a set of asynchronous, self-paced tasks in LinkedInLearning and LEARN, that must be completed by the due date of Tuesday, September 22 by 11:59 p.m.
- a live synchronous session in MS Teams, that takes place on Tuesday, September 29 from 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Accessing the online module
The Fundamentals online module is located in the Fundamentals of University Teaching course in LEARN.
If you do not yet have access to the course, you will need to self-register for it. Please follow the directions on the Fundamentals self-registration webpage to add the course to your LEARN course list.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any issues accessing this course after following the above instructions.
- Registration is required in GoSignMeUp. Before you can register for a workshop, you need to create an account (one time only). Once you’ve created an account, you can register for this workshop.
- Participants will receive an attendance credit towards the Fundamentals program if they complete all of the required tasks in the module, including all the module activities.
- Participants who do not complete all module activities by the due date will have their registration in the workshop cancelled, and will need to register again the following month.
This workshop has limited enrolment spots and often has a waiting list. If you have registered but can't complete the module, please cancel your registration well in advance through the registration system, so that someone else can fill your spot.