LITE grants provide support for experimenting with and investigating innovative approaches to enhancing teaching that aim to foster deep student learning at the University of Waterloo. The program is composed of two kinds of grants:
- LITE Seed Grants (funding up to $5000 for one-year projects)
Deadlines: February 1 and June 1
- LITE Full Grants (funding up to $30,000 for two-year projects)
Deadline: October 1
The grants are funded by the Office of the Associate Vice President, Academic and administered by the Centre for Teaching Excellence.
Browse funded projects
Descriptions of current and completed Seed and Full Grant projects.
LITE Grant stories
Read the following stories about LITE Grant recipients to find out more about their projects and the impact of their projects on their teaching:
- Verify eligibility (Seed or Full) to apply and consult guidelines (Seed or Full).
- Contact Crystal Tse or Kristin Brown to discuss ideas and resources.
- Browse funded projects.
- Consult Ethics guidelines to determine whether your project requires ethics clearance (see also: decision tree) and for guidelines for conducting research in classes or with students as study participants. If your project requires ethics clearance, this video provides guidelines for how to apply for ethics clearance.
- Draft your proposal using the guidelines and template provided below. You will also find useful resources and references for your project in the Scholarly Teaching Research Guide.
- Request feedback from Crystal Tse or Kristin Brown at CTE, if desired.
- Submit your application.
- LITE Seed Grant Guidelines
- LITE Seed Grant Proposal Template (DOC), LITE Seed Grant Proposal Cover Page Template (DOC), and LITE Seed Grant Timeline Template (DOC)
- LITE Full Grant Guidelines
- LITE Full Grant Proposal Template (DOC), LITE Full Grant Proposal Cover Page Template (DOC), and LITE Full Grant Timeline Template (DOC)
- Office of Research Ethics guidelines for conducting research in classes or with students as study participants.
- Scholarly Teaching Research Guide
- Recommended salary rates for research assistants
- Guidelines about participant recruitment and anti-spam legislation (Please see especially points 9 and 10)
- Guidelines concerning fees related to learning resources and field trips
View sample proposals
The following proposals are being shared with the permission of the authors.
- "Building Capacity for Case-Based Learning at uWaterloo" (PDF) and responses to review committee feedback (pdf). Full grant.
- "SHIFT: A Transformation of UW’s Printmaking Facilities—Ecology and Instruction" (PDF). Seed grant.
- "Enhancing Teamwork Effectiveness in Coursework through Training" (PDF). Seed grant.