50 students from Turkey study at Waterloo (fall 2018)
32 Waterloo alumni live in Turkey (fall 2018)
Resources for students from Turkey
Meet students from around the world
Students from more than 120 countries choose to study at Waterloo each year. Through your classes and our many student experience opportunities, you'll meet students from across Canada and around the world.
Here are some ways for you to connect with students from Turkey or with other international students.
- International and Canadian Student Network - a student-run service that organizes events to help local and international students feel welcome at the University and in the Waterloo community
- International Peer Community - join groups of 8 to 10 international students to meet new people, build your support network, and learn about Canadian culture
- Immigration Consultants - can assist you with Canadian immigration status; medical, financial, and cultural adjustment; taxes; workshops; and preparing for Waterloo
Student spotlight: Elif
Elif is studying Honours Biology and is originally from Istanbul, Turkey.
What were you looking for in a university?
I was attracted to Waterloo because I was looking for a place that offered a great education and campus life, while taking into consideration its academic rigor. I wanted to be somewhere I could meet people while working towards my future goals.
I didn't know what I wanted to do after school, and Waterloo's co-op program was exactly what I was looking for to try different fields and figure out the path I wanted to follow. Just as importantly, I made some amazing friends that make me feel at home in Waterloo.
What did you expect from Waterloo before arriving?
I was not sure what to expect since I had never been to North America. Everyone told me that it's very hard to adjust to a new place and I was a little intimidated to move here without any family or friends. Plus, coming from Istanbul, a big and densely populated city to, to Waterloo, I didn't expect there to be a lot to do. But I was proven wrong.
My first year was very exciting. To my surprise, there were many other international students like me. Adjusting to Canada was nowhere nearly as hard as I expected when there are so many resources to help you.
Why do you think Waterloo is a good fit for students from your country?
Waterloo is a good fit for students from Turkey because it offers a new environment that is not very similar, but definitely enjoyable! Turkey is not as multicultural, and I strongly believe that it is important for us to learn about cultures different than ours. Waterloo offers a great opportunity to do so.
- View our international visits schedule to see when we're visiting Turkey
- Program and admission information for international students
- Scholarships and common questions about fees and scholarships
- Turkish Consulate in Toronto