Create the blueprints for a great career
In one of North America’s top schools of architecture, you’ll get a broad education that covers everything from building materials and construction techniques to cultural history, social context, green architecture, and more. Not to mention you can combine it all with co-op.
However, the core of pre-professional program is design courses, starting right in year one. You’ll get your own dedicated space in our studio where you’ll develop your ideas and skills through a series of hands-on projects.
Learn about society and culture, the principles of physics, materials and techniques of construction, human interaction with the natural and built environment, critical thought, and the diverse forms of creative expression.
It all happens in a beautiful historic building in the city of Cambridge, about 30 kilometres south of the main Waterloo campus, complete with labs, exhibition galleries, and a world-class design library.
in Canada for engineering (US News & World Report 2020)
Gain two years of experience in the co-op program
Co-op employment rate
Architecture degree admission requirements
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (A minimum final grade of 75% is required)
- Advanced Functions (A minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (A minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (A minimum final grade of 70% is required)
Recommended courses: Grade 11 or 12 M Art courses, independent art studies, creative and cultural studies such as visual arts and history
Admission average: Individual selection from the mid-80s
Complete the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
Build your Architecture degree at Waterloo
Get tips from Waterloo students
Sign up for insider advice that can help you now and in the future. Topics include
- tips for a successful senior year of high school,
- how to choose a university program,
- differences between high school and university, and more.
First-year courses and beyond
September to December
January to April
After first year
Sample upper-year courses
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Architectural assistant
- Architectural student
- Intern architect
- Architectural designer
- 3D architectural visualization artist
Sample co-op employers
- Arquitectonica International
- Whiting Design
- AODBT Architecture & Interior Design
- Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc.
- Bryden Wood Ltd.
What can you do with a degree in architecture?
Graduates commonly pursue careers in architecture, design, consulting, and project management. They often work in architectural firms, construction and design firms, engineering and manufacturing companies, and more.
- Associate Architect – Altius Architecture
- Project Manager – Millworks Manufacturing
- Architectural Design – Whiting Design
- Urban Designer – Stantec Architecture
- Product Designer – Facebook
- Architectural Assistant – Stantec Architecture
- Intern Architect – Levitt Goodman Architects
Learn about the future of careers in engineering.
How does the program relate to Architectural Engineering?
If you're strong in artistic and creative abilities and have a background in math and science, Architecture is for you. You'll focus on design that applies social and cultural aspects as well as science and engineering to construction projects, ranging from accessible public space to environmental approaches to sustainable building and landscape and urban design.
Architectural Engineering is closer to Civil Engineering than it is to Architecture. Students will cover mechanics, structural analysis, structural design, and in the first two years, a lot of math. You'll learn about the science and engineering behind good building design – not just the structural aspects, but also energy efficiency, sustainable building design, and smart/green building design.
Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
Apply directly to Architecture on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree
Ready to learn more?
- Visit the School of Architecture website
- Subscribe to our newsletter to get tips and advice from current students
- Visit our Waterloo Stories website for current research by professors in Architecture
- Related programs
Study in Rome
The Coliseum is calling! You’ll spend the fall of your fourth year at our studio in Rome, one of the world's great cities for culture and architecture.
Kick start your career as an architect
This is the only school of architecture in the world where you’ll get two years of paid co-op work experience in Canada and abroad.