Information for

Helpful tips for new Waterloo students


Your WatCard is the most important piece of identification (ID) you'll have as a student at Waterloo. Learn how to get and use your WatCard.

Campus map

Wondering how to find your classes or get around campus? Use our campus map! Or even better, join us for a campus tour or open house

Helping you succeed

Success looks different to everyone. The Student Success Office will help you find your path to success, whether you’re looking for help with your academic skills or want to get involved on campus.

Starting in June, we'll email you lots of great information about preparing for Waterloo. Check out the Countdown to campus video series and 101 Days over the summer.

Clubs and sports

Get involved through the Federation of Students, your student government. Join one of 200+ clubs, volunteer with one of our great services, or find a part-time job with one of our on-campus businesses. 

Stay active through one of the most extensive campus recreation programs in Canada. Or if you're interested in varsity teams, visit the varsity sports website and fill out a new recruit form.  



Visit the Book Store to find out about your textbooks, store hours, refund policies, and more. Or save money if your textbooks are available through Feds Used Books. When you finish a school term, you can sell back the ones you no longer need!


Money and banking

Save money on and off campus with tips for saving money. There's a CIBC branch and several CIBC bank machines right on campus. Close to campus are BMO, ScotiaBank, and TD Canada Trust ATMs and an RBC Royal Bank branch. 

Parking Services

Bringing a car to campus? Visit Waterloo's Parking Services website for details about parking permits.


Computers and free software

You'll have free access to many computing services and software for students, including Microsoft Office 365.

Part-time jobs

If you're looking for some extra money during your school terms, many on-campus departments hire students and will work around your class schedule. 

International students can gain work experience and earn money by working on or off campus. All you need is your study permit. Further details are on the Government of Canada website. If you're in a co-op program, you'll need to have a work permit.