If you accept (or have accepted) your Offer of Admission to Waterloo but need to begin your undergraduate studies next September, you may request to defer your admission. Deferrals are available to September 2022 only.
We remain committed to delivering an outstanding fall term, no matter if you’re on campus or at home. Our teams are working on plans for an excellent fall semester that includes academically challenging courses and hands-on learning to help you achieve your educational goals.
If you’re unable to begin your university studies this year, you can request a deferral to start in September 2022. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis. Due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the information on this page is subject to change without notice.
How do I request a deferral?
- First, you must accept your Offer of Admission from Waterloo on the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) website by the deadline stated on the offer.
- Next, you must meet all conditions outlined on your Offer of Admission by the deadline specified on that offer.
- Request a deferral of admission by September 28, 2021 at 4 p.m. ET (extended deadline).
- The maximum deferral period is one calendar year (three academic terms).
- On the form, you'll be asked to explain your reasons for requesting the deferral and to summarize your plans for the deferral period.
You may not pursue college or university studies during the deferral period. You may take high school courses for personal interest.
When will I find out about my deferral?
Each request will be considered on an individual basis. Decisions on deferral requests will normally be made in July and August after all conditions outlined on an offer of admission have been met.
What happens when I want to start studying?
You will not be required to reapply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) next year. We’ll send you a new offer of admission in advance of when you plan to start your studies. You’ll need to accept this offer in Quest by the date indicated on the offer of admission.