The deadline to defer your offer to fall 2024 has now passed. If you are unable to arrive on campus due to visa/study permit delays and would like individual consideration for a late deferral, please email email@example.com with proof of your visa application delay. We will only allow late requests up to September 15, 2023.
How do I request a deferral?
- First, you must accept your Offer of Admission from Waterloo on the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) website by the deadline stated on the offer.
- Next, you must meet all conditions outlined on your Offer of Admission by the deadline specified on that offer.
- Request a deferral of admission.
- The maximum deferral period is one calendar year (three academic terms). For students with military service requirements, you could be eligible for a two-year deferral, pending documented proof of service. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- On the form, you'll be asked to explain your reasons for requesting the deferral and to summarize your plans for the deferral period.
You may not pursue college or university studies during the deferral period. You may take high school courses for personal interest.
When will I find out about my deferral?
Each request will be considered on an individual basis. Decisions on deferral requests will normally be made in July and August after all conditions outlined on an offer of admission have been met.
What happens when I want to start studying?
You will not be required to reapply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) next year. We’ll send you a new offer of admission in early 2024. You’ll need to follow the instructions stated in your deferral approval email and accept this offer in Quest by the date indicated on the offer of admission.
Scholarships and entrance bursary
- If you received a President’s Scholarship, the scholarship will be held for you and will be applied to the term you begin your first-year studies.
- If you received an entrance bursary for September 2023, you'll need to reapply when the application opens in February 2024.
- Consideration for other entrance scholarships will be on a case-by-case basis.