If you plan to be a full-time student, you'll apply through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC), which processes applications to each of Ontario's universities.

Be sure to apply by the application deadline. Once we receive your application information from the OUAC, we'll email you within 2 weeks with the next steps in the admissions process.

We recommend adding myapplication@uwaterloo.ca to your email contacts to ensure you receive our emails.

Submitting your information through the OUAC means that you can use one application to apply to multiple Waterloo programs or Ontario universities.


Part-time or online studies

If you're interested in part-time or online studies, there is a separate application process.

    Previous Waterloo students

    If you've completed an undergraduate course or degree at Waterloo and wish to take further courses, you should submit an Application for Re-Admission.


    Can you apply to more than one program at Waterloo?

    Yes, you can apply to multiple programs at Waterloo except for Engineering programs. You may apply to one Waterloo Engineering program on your application.

    Applying only to Engineering programs

    You can apply to one Waterloo Engineering program on your OUAC application and then use your Admission Information Form (AIF) to request consideration for an alternate Engineering program.

    If we can’t accommodate you in your first-choice Engineering program (i.e., the one you chose on your OUAC application), we may be able to consider you for your alternate choice. Priority for a program may be given to those students who select it as their first choice.

    Biomedical Engineering and Software Engineering are not available as alternate choices on the AIF, so you'll need to list one of those on your application if one of them is your main interest. You'll receive instructions for completing your AIF once you've applied.

    Applying to Engineering and other programs

    You can apply to one Engineering program and one or two other non-Engineering Waterloo programs that interest you.

    If you plan to apply to Architecture (which is offered by the Faculty of Engineering), you can apply to Architecture, one Engineering program, and another Waterloo program if you wish.


    How do you apply to a co-op program?

    To apply to a co-op program, you must check the co-op box on your Ontario Universities' Application Centre application.

    If you apply to a co-op program that is also offered through the regular system of study and you're not admitted to co-op, you'll automatically be considered for the regular program if spaces are available.

    Co-op and regular systems of study are available to Canadian and international students.

    Part-time and online studies

    Part-time studies (one or two courses per term), online learning, post-degree, non-degree, and letter of permission use a different application process.

    Take courses for general interest

    To take courses for general interest, apply to non-degree studies (if you don't have a degree) or to post-degree studies (if you have completed an undergraduate degree).


    Learn more about applying