Study and work permits

If you're not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you must have a valid post-secondary study permit to attend university in Canada.

A study permit is the official document granted by the Government of Canada that gives you permission to study in Canada. High school study permits are not valid for university studies. Learn more about immigration documents on the Student Success Office website.

Study permit application processing times can vary, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. You can check the estimated processing times on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Proof of payment for study permits

As part of the study permit application process, Canadian visa offices in some countries may require proof that you have paid your tuition fees. 

If you're required to pay your fees in advance and show proof of payment in your study permit application, you'll need to email Waterloo's Student Financial Services office at with the following information.

  • Your first/given name
  • Your surname/family name
  • Your University of Waterloo ID number (8 digits starting with a "2")
  • Name of the program to which you received an offer of admission
  • Whether you have been admitted to a co-op or regular program
  • Whether you have been admitted to first year or to upper-year studies

Waterloo's Student Financial Services will then email you the approximate cost of your tuition based on current fees. If the estimate is less than your actual fees, you will need to pay any difference later.

Once you have paid your fees, we'll send you a receipt of payment which you can use as proof that you've paid your fees.

If you require any additional documentation from Waterloo for your study permit processing, please email

Apply for a work permit if you've been admitted to co-op

Please apply for your co-op work permit together with your study permit application using your Letter of Acceptance from Waterloo. You'll need a work permit for your co-op work terms.