7,593 students from China study at Waterloo (fall 2018)
3,002 Waterloo alumni live in China (fall 2018)
Resources for students
Meet students from China and around the world
Students from more than 120 countries choose to study at Waterloo each year. Through your classes and our many student experience opportunities, you'll meet students from across Canada and around the world.
Here are some ways for you to connect with students from China or with other international students.
- Chinese Students Association
- International and Canadian Student Network - a student-run service that organizes events to help local and international students feel welcome at the University and in the Waterloo community
- International Peer Community - join groups of 8 to 10 international students to meet new people, build your support network, and learn about Canadian culture
- Immigration Consultants - can assist you with Canadian immigration status; medical, financial, and cultural adjustment; taxes; workshops; and preparing for Waterloo
Student spotlight: Elizabeth
Elizabeth is studying Actuarial Science and is originally from Guangdong, China.
What was important to you when you were applying university?
I was looking for high quality education which consisted of a high reputation in academics and meaningful extracurriculars, an environment that nurtures innovation, values different ideas, and academic integrity. Also, a place where I can develop my leadership skills as well as have a balanced lifestyle by taking on responsibility in different clubs and associations in the university.
I chose Waterloo because it is known for its innovation and it encourages students to think outside of the box. Moreover, it has a well-developed co-op program that prepares us for future employment. Applying to jobs, going through interviews... this process simulates what it is like to find a job in the industry after graduation.
What did you expect from Waterloo before arriving?
I was expecting a supportive and friendly environment where I could study in the field that I'm interested in and meet many other bright minds from all over the world.
Was there anything that was different from your expectations?
I found myself enjoying being in university very much not only because of the environment, but also because there are so many opportunities that the university offers to be a leader. I thought that only those very sharp and bright people get to take on leadership roles, but that's not the case at all at Waterloo. As long as you are willing to learn and have a positive attitude and energy, there are always opportunities available.
Why do you think Waterloo is a good fit for students from China?
Waterloo is very good at encouraging students in so many ways. It is a very diversified university that gathers many bright people from all over the world. Students with different strengths can work together to achieve something significant.
- View our international visits schedule to see when we're visiting China
- Program and admission information for international students
- Scholarships and common questions about fees and scholarships
- Chinese Consulate in Toronto