Tackle serious social questions.
How does society handle inequality, poverty, and crime? How do social groups interact? How can we improve health care, criminal justice, religion, the economy, and our relationships to one another?
This is a program where you’ll wrestle with pressing questions — and develop the tools to create solutions to local and global challenges.
You’ll explore topics such as age, class, ethnicity, religion, gender, criminality, education, work, social change, and politics. And when you study Sociology at Waterloo, you’ll learn from leading experts committed to creating an outstanding classroom experience.
As a sociologist, you’ll find career opportunities in a wide range of fields, including government, the financial sector, health, policy and research, law, academia, policing, and non-profit organizations.
Our flexible curriculum leaves plenty of room to explore your interests through minors or double majors, while co-op opportunities are also available.
Academic and social support
The student-led Sociology Society coordinates movie nights, student and prof mixers, academic help sessions, special lectures, and more.
About the Sociology program
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Available as a major and minor
- Apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business and choose Sociology as your major at the end of first year.
Students who graduate with a Sociology degree often pursue careers in social research, human behaviour, social policy, human rights, and community development.
- Court Clerk, Ministry of Attorney General
- Senior Global Operations Specialist, FedEx Canada
- Addictions Counsellor, Homewood Health Centre
- Commercial Property Underwriter, AIG Life Insurance Company of Canada
- Research Coordinator, Occupational Health & Safety Agency for Healthcare
September to December
SOC 101 - Introduction to Sociology
Arts First requirement 1*
3 additional courses
January to April
After first year
Sample upper-year Sociology courses
Customize your Bachelor of Arts in Sociology degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Operations Human Resources Support Officer
- Strategic Projects Coordinator
- Business Analyst Identity Access and Privacy
- Technical Writer Co-op
- Research Assistant
Sample co-op employers
- Scotia Capital
- Regional Municipality of Peel
- eHealth Ontario
- United Nations Association in Canada