Pursue your passions. Postpone the commitment.
If you have a wide variety of interests, Honours Arts gives you the freedom to explore them.
In Waterloo's largest and most flexible first-year program, you’ll use your first 2 terms to test the waters. Sample courses from the humanities, social sciences, fine and performing arts, and languages and cultures. Discover subjects you weren’t exposed to in high school, or delve deeper into your favourite subject at the university level.
Whatever direction you end up taking, Honours Arts will give you the critical thinking skills to analyze issues, make persuasive arguments, write well, and speak with conviction — skills that will serve you well along any career path.
Choose from 23 majors
At the end of first year, it’s your choice. Pick one of 23 different Arts majors. (Or keep your options open by choosing the Liberal Studies major).
Room for extracurriculars
Honours Arts gives you plenty of time outside the classroom to run for student government, study abroad, volunteer, or explore other interests.
About the Honours Arts program
Starts in first year: apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in one of 23 majors
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Combine majors and minors to customize your degree
23 Arts majors to choose from
*Co-op available in these majors beginning in second year. Co-op is also available through Honours Arts and Business.
You'll choose your major at the end of first year. If you decide you don't want to choose a major, you can do a general degree called Liberal Studies.
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors is recommended for Economics
- Grade 12 Mathematics of Data Management is recommended for Political Science; Psychology; Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies; Social Development Studies; Sociology
- Admission average: Low 80s
- An Admission Information Form is recommended.
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
The flexibility of Honours Arts and the choice of 23 majors provides an incredible range of possible careers to pursue. Sample careers of our graduates include
- French Teacher, Wellington Heights Secondary School
- Lawyer, Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP
- Recruiter, Kik Interactive
- Copy Editor and Designer, Booker Publishing
- Account Executive, Higher Education, Apple Canada
- Teacher, Upper Grand District School Board
- Program Manager, Microsoft
- Assistant Video Editor, Ubisoft Toronto