Calling all political junkies.
From civil unrest in the Middle East to international trade negotiations, today’s political landscape is complex. Learn how to navigate (and shape) that terrain with a Political Science degree from Waterloo.
Investigate a wide range of topics, or dive deep with a specialization in Canadian Politics, Global Governance, International Relations, or Politics and Business.
Either way, you’ll hone your analytical, writing, critical thinking, and research skills in a mix of lectures, seminars, and workshops. You’ll also get an insiders’ perspective, studying with top scholars involved in current international policy debates. Gain an understanding of comparative politics, international relations, social sciences, and political theory.
Graduate ready to make a difference. Now more than ever, the world needs savvy movers and shakers equipped to respond to current events.
Join a Poli Sci powerhouse
Explore power, global politics, and governance in one of the top 150 politics and international studies programs in the world (QS World University Rankings, 2017).
90+ undergraduate courses
Sink your teeth into Chinese foreign policy, women and politics, global security, or dozens of other highly topical courses.
About the Political Science program
Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Available as a major and minor
- Apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business and choose Political Science as your major at the end of first year.
First-year undergraduate courses
September to December
PSCI 100 - Introduction to Government
Arts First requirement 1*
3 additional courses
January to April
PSCI 150 - Introduction to Global Politics
Arts First requirement 2*
3 additional courses
After first year
40% of the classes you’ll take will be Political Science courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
Sample upper-year courses
Customize your Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science degree
Add depth to your degree with a Political Science specialization.
- Politics and Business
- Global Governance
- Public Policy and Administration
- International Relations
You can also complement your major and add additional areas of interest by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Junior policy analyst
- Public affairs coordinator
- Information technology communications coordinator
- Economic analyst
- Inside sales/marketing promotion representative
- Junior business systems analyst
- Talent acquisition assistant
- Research analyst
Sample co-op employers
- National University of Singapore
- Free the Children
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Rudson Valuation Group Inc.
- Manulife Financial
- Employment and Social Development Canada
- Marketing Manager, Emerge Knowledge Design Inc.
- Volunteer Coordinator, Heart & Stroke Foundation, Ontario
- Account Executive, Ignite Activation
- Policy Analyst, Human Resources & Skills Development Canada
- Public Relations & Communications Associate, Impact Public Affairs
- Risk Analyst, CIBC Mellon Global Securities