Confront some of life's biggest questions.
What is the nature of the human mind? What makes a just society? How can we lead a moral life?
Philosophy has long been a central component of a liberal arts education — and with good reason. It teaches you critical reasoning like no other discipline. It’s also an excellent addition to studies in mathematics and the sciences.
In the Philosophy program at Waterloo, you’ll explore enduring dilemmas of human existence, learn the fundamentals of formal logic, and apply philosophical reasoning to highly topical issues and current events.
Once you graduate, you’ll have a wide range of options. Philosophy is ideal training for a career in law and valuable preparation for just about any field that demands breadth of thinking, careful reading, thorough analysis, and clear argumentation.
70+ upper-year courses
Take advantage of an impressive variety of courses after first year, from metaphysics to feminist philosophy to the ethics of end-of-life care.
Get serious work experience
Want hands-on, paid work experience? Choose the co-op system by studying Philosophy through Honours Arts and Business.
About Philosophy at Waterloo
Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Available as a major and minor
- Apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business and choose Philosophy as your major at the end of first year.
September to December
January to April
After first year
Sample upper-year Philosophy courses
Customize your Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy
Add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve. Co-op is available if you study Philosophy through Honours Arts and Business.
Recent graduates of Waterloo Philosophy
- Program Coordinator, Ministry of Community & Social Services, Ontario
- Teacher, Germantown Academy
- Divisional Office Services Coordinator, Kingston General Hospital
- Managing Director, I.T. Manager, Freemont Corporate Services
- Executive Director, Government of Manitoba
- Teacher, Queen Victoria Junior Public School
- Consultant, Enterprise Risk, Deloitte & Touche LLP
More about Philosophy at Waterloo
- Visit the Philosophy website