Judge the impact of the legal system. (No gavels required.)
Law touches virtually every aspect of society. That makes a degree in Legal Studies great preparation for a career in government, business, the non-profit sector, law enforcement, and (of course!) law itself.
At Waterloo, you’ll enjoy small classes led by highly respected researchers, giving you lots of opportunity for discussion.
Over the course of your Legal Studies undergraduate degree, you’ll explore the impact of law on society, the origins of legal systems, how the Charter of Rights and Freedoms creates change, and issues such as crime, deviance, punishment, and restorative justice.
You’ll graduate with skills in research, problem solving, critical thinking, and communication, along with an in-depth understanding of law and legal systems.
Study law from every angle
Gain a broad perspective on the law by studying political science, history, sociology, philosophy, and peace and conflict studies.
Get serious work experience
Choose the co-op system of study and apply your knowledge in law firms, government offices, business, technology companies, and more.
About the Legal Studies program
Earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Legal Studies
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Available as a major and minor
- Apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business and choose Legal Studies as your major at the end of first year.
Careers in Legal Studies
Graduates with a Legal Studies degree often find careers working in law firms, human resources, management, legal departments of companies and businesses, security services, retail, and education to name a variety.
- Legal Assistant, RZCD Law LLP
- Summer Law Student, Ministry of Attorney General
- Associate, Richardson GMP Limited
- Human Resources, Loblaw Companies
- Legal Assistant, Bruder Springstead LLP
- Legislative Services Coordinator, Resort Municipality of Whistler
- Student Support Counsellor, Ministry of Education, Ontario
- Teacher, Trillium Lakelands District School Board
First-year Legal Studies courses
September to December
January to April
After first year
Sample upper-year Legal Studies courses
Customize your Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
Sample co-op job titles
- Legal Office Assistant
- Marketing Communications Writer
- Project Administrator
Sample co-op employers
- Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP
- OpenText Corporation
- International Financial Data Services Canada
- Office of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
- Riders Plus Insurance Inc.
- Ontario Ministry of Finance