Explore Beethoven to Bieber, solos to software.
Study music in a program that offers you the flexibility to pursue your passions. At Waterloo, we offer instruction in more than 20 instruments, as well as vocal lessons. But that’s just the beginning.
Balance your study of performance, music theory, and music history with classes on the relationship between music and technology, gender, and peace. Unpack the psychology of music, or delve into pop, jazz, opera, film scores, and more.
Whether you’re aiming for a career as a performer, composer, teacher, recording technician, or music software developer, this program gives you the building blocks you need.
Create friendships for life
Join the Living-Learning Community at Conrad Grebel where you’ll live with other Music students, make lasting friendships, and get support from upper-year peer leaders. A residence application is required.
Study in Bali and beyond
Grab your passport! Experience concerts, festivals, and the rich cultural life of countries from Bali to the Baltics with a music & culture travel course.
About the Music program
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in Honours Music
International exchanges in 25 countries
Offered by the Faculty of Arts
Available as a major and minor
- Apply via Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business choose Music as your major at the end of first year.
- Auditions are required if you would like to choose Music as your major, take studio courses, or apply for specific music entrance scholarships. Entrance scholarship auditions take place in February and March.
Listed below are required first-year courses. You'll choose additional classes so that you have a total of 5 courses per term (or 6 if you include an music ensemble).
September to December
Choose 2 of:
- MUSIC 110 - Music in Cultural Contexts
- MUSIC 226 - Music Studio (taken with MUSIC 116)
- MUSIC 270 - Music Theory 1
Arts First requirement 1*
2 elective courses
January to April
Choose 2 of:
- MUSIC 110 - Music in Cultural Contexts (if not taken in fall)
- MUSIC 226 - Music Studio (if not taken in fall) or MUSIC 227 (taken with MUSIC 116)
- MUSIC 271 - Music Theory 1 (or MUSIC 270 if not taken in fall)
Arts First requirement 2*
2 elective courses
After first year
Sample upper-year Music courses
Customize your Bachelor of Arts in Honours Music degree
As a Music major, you can add a specialization in Music and Peace, Music in a Global Context, or Church Music and Worship.
You can also add additional interests and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve. Co-op is available if you study Music through Honours Arts and Business.
Sample co-op job titles
- Business Improvement Analyst
- Teaching Assistant
- Music Instructor
- Guidance / At-Risk Support Assistant
Sample co-op employers
- Ontario Ministry of Government Services
- Parks Canada
- University of Waterloo
- Toronto District School Board
- Voice Teacher, Renaissance School of the Arts
- Owner & Manager, Kitchener-Waterloo Mirador
- Voice Director, Kitchener-Waterloo Glee
- Principal, Linwood Public School
- Group Sales Coordinator, Drayton Entertainment
- Marketing Manager, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony
- Visit the Music website and learn about auditions for studio courses and entrance scholarships