Study music in a program that offers you the flexibility to pursue your passions.
At Waterloo, we offer instruction in more than 20 instruments, as well as vocal lessons. But that’s just the beginning.
Balance your study of performance, theory, and music history with classes on the relationship between music and technology, gender, and peace. Unpack the psychology of music, or delve into pop, jazz, opera, film scores, and more.
Throughout your degree, you’ll be learning from distinguished instructors: scholars, composers, theorists, and performers who are all committed to excellence in teaching.
Meanwhile, you’ll have no end of opportunities to enrich your education. Study abroad in England or Bali. Take part in one of dozens of performing groups and productions. Join our Living-Learning Community or attend concerts, social outings, and other events put on by the Music Society.
Whether you’re aiming for a career as a performer, composer, teacher, recording technician, or music software developer, this program gives you the building blocks you need.
About the program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Apply to Honours Arts or Honours Arts and Business and choose Music as your major
- Auditions are required for studio courses and specific music entrance scholarships
Listed below are required first-year courses. You'll choose additional classes so that you have a total of 5 courses per term.
September to December
MUSIC 116 - Music Ensemble
ENGL 109 - Introduction to Academic Writing
Choose an additional course from:
• MUSIC 100 - Understanding Music
• MUSIC 270 - Music Theory 1
• MUSIC 226 - Music Studio
Plus 2 electives
January to April
After first year
Customize your degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Business Improvement Analyst, Ontario Ministry of Government Services
- Student Coordinator, Parks Canada
- Teaching Assistant, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Secondary School
- Music Instructor, University of Waterloo
- Guidance / At-Risk Support Assistant, Toronto District School Board
- Voice Teacher, Renaissance School of the Arts
- Owner & Manager, Kitchener-Waterloo Mirador
- Voice Director, Kitchener-Waterloo Glee
- Principal, Linwood Public School
- Group Sales Coordinator, Drayton Entertainment
- Marketing Manager, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony
- Email Sam Wiebe, our Arts recruitment co-ordinator, who can answer any questions about Music
- Visit the Music website and learn about auditions for studio courses and entrance scholarships
- Request an Honours Arts, Honours Arts and Business brochure