To recognize Recreation and Leisure Studies alumni and honour significant service, contributions and achievements of alumni. Nominees must demonstrate professional and academic achievements to advance or improve the profession, as well as contributions to the community through volunteerism, humanitarian endeavours and community and public service.
Distinguished Alumni Award eligibility
An award will be given each year to the selected nominee who:
- is a graduate of the Recreation and Leisure Studies (REC) program (undergraduate and/or graduate)
- has achieved a notable level of success based upon, but not necessarily limited to the following criteria, including activities that inspire their peers, other REC/Applied Health Sciences (AHS) and University of Waterloo alumni, and current REC/AHS students.
- Self nominations will not be accepted
- Demonstrated professional and/or academic achievements: career advancement, leadership, professional recognition, and accomplishments within their field.
- Demonstrated public (local or global) service: voluntary leadership roles in the community or through public or humanitarian service, significant impact on the community through socially responsible activities.
- Demonstrated support to the University of Waterloo: support of UWaterloo initiatives through philanthropy and/or activities including involvement in UWaterloo programs and/or service on UWaterloo or AHS boards/committees/project teams. Being an advocate for Waterloo, or attending events.
- Additional information that doesn’t necessarily fit in any of the categories above for example, personal success, overcoming personal challenges, maintaining work-life balance, and examples of “being a great person,” etc. will also be considered.
- Complete the online Nomination Form by May 30. Under "What Faculty and/or university college did your nominee graduate from?" select "Faculty of Applied Health Sciences."
- Candidates will be contacted to submit additional information.
- The Selection Committee will review the qualifications of the nominees to select the recipient of the award.
- The award will be given out at date and venue to be determined.