Degrees offered

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours (4 years)
  • Bachelor of Arts (BA) Honours Co-op (5 years)

Apply to Recreation and Leisure Studies (co-op or regular) and then choose one of the majors as your "subject of major interest". You'll be admitted to Recreation and Leisure Studies, and then be placed into the major you selected on your application when you start your studies in the fall. 

Joint Honours degrees

If you're interested in different disciplines and are having trouble choosing, then a Joint Honours program may be the answer. A Joint Honours program enables you to combine your studies in Recreation equally with another field of study and have both recognized on your degree. Waterloo offers Joint Honours with a variety of areas:

Recreation and Sport Business and Speech Communication

Recreation and Leisure Studies with one of the following:

  • Drama
  • English
  • Environmental and Resource Studies
  • Geography and Environmental Management
  • History
  • Legal Studies
  • Music
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Social Development Studies
  • Sociology
  • Speech Communication

Therapeutic Recreation with one of the following:

  • Fine Arts
  • Religious Studies
  • Psychology

If you're interested in completing a Joint Honours program, you should discuss this with your academic advisor when choosing courses in first year. Students usually enrol in the Joint Honours plan in second year and work closely with the advisors in both departments to optimise their course planning.

Options and minors

Options and minors are optional specializations that you can complete in a secondary area of interest. They usually consist of 8 to 10 courses, and are a great option if you have interests in multiple program areas but don't want to pursue a full Joint Honours degree. They normally begin after first year, and will appear on your diploma upon graduation.

The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies offers a Tourism Option.

If you are interested in pursuing a minor or option in a different area of study, e.g., psychology, you should consult the faculty sections of the Undergraduate Calendar to see if such a specialization is offered and which courses you'd need to take as your electives to complete the requirements.