Co-op procedures

In order to be eligible to receive a co-op designation at the time of graduation, students in the Faculty of Health are required to successfully complete:

Students are given five work term opportunities in which to complete these requirements throughout the normal academic/work term sequence.

Work terms

Professional Development (PD) courses

PD courses are intended to enhance your professional development and assist in integrating your academic and work-term experiences. As a Co-op student in the Faculty of Health, you are required to successfully complete four PD courses. Each PD course is worth 0.5 unit and may not be substituted with a regular academic course credit. With the exception of PD1, you are expected to take the courses while on your co-op work terms. The schedule for completing the PD courses is as follows:

PD course content will be made available via Waterloo LEARN.

PD1: Career Fundamentals will lead you through resources and activities to provide you with the tools to be competitive in your employment search and prepare you for a successful first work term.

Co-operative Education and the Centre for Career Development also offer various resources and workshops to help prepare you for the job search and interview processes, as well as success strategies while on a work term.

Tips for getting the most out of your co-op experiences

Getting into or out of Co-op

Once studies are under way, you may decide that you would like to change your program of study from co-op to regular, or from regular to co-op.

Co-op to Regular

You may change from co-op to regular at any time as long as you are not committed to a job. You should meet with your academic advisor to review degree requirements and course sequencing.

You must complete a Plan Modification Form and submit it to your academic advisor to proceed with the change of program.

Regular to Co-op

Changing from the regular to the co-op program is more difficult as co-op spaces are limited to the number of work placements available. However, there are often several students who decide to leave the co-op program for various reasons during their first and second year, leaving space available for regular students to transfer into co-op.

Applications for co-op must be submitted no later than your 2A term to ensure you will have adequate time to meet the four work terms and PD courses required before graduation. A minimum cumulative average of 80% is normally required to be considered for admission to the co-op program as competition is strong for the few available spaces each year.

You must complete a Plan Modification Form and submit it to your academic advisor to apply to the co-op program. If admitted to co-op, you should meet with your academic advisor to review degree requirements and course sequencing.

Other questions?

Please visit Co-operative Education and Centre for Career Development for more information.