Shape the future of recreation and leisure
Recreation and Leisure Studies represents one of the world's largest and fastest growing industries. If you think about it: anything that you are doing outside of work, school, and sleeping, is some form of recreation and leisure.
Here at the University of Waterloo you'll learn from world-class professors how you can influence, encourage, and provide programs and services that help people maximize their quality of life. Whether you're into sports marketing, ecotourism, therapeutic recreation, or event management, the opportunities are endless.
Over the past few years, here’s what our Recreation and Leisure Studies grads have been up to one year after their graduation:
67% Starting a career
- Organizational & Human Development Coordinator, University of Waterloo
- Manager Player Development, Western Hockey League
- Logistics Coordinator, Pan/Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee
- Relay for Life Program Specialist, Canadian Cancer Society
28% » Professional or graduate programs
- Education (teacher's college)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Master's programs: Tourism and Policy Planning, Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Occupational Therapy
4% » Travel and other pursuits
3% » Job searching
Meet Recreation and Leisure Studies graduates
Check out profiles of Recreation and Leisure Studies grads to see what they did with their degrees and how they're making a difference today!
Your first year
The courses listed below will give you an idea of what your first year in Recreation and Leisure Studies at Waterloo is going to look like. First-year Recreation and Leisure Studies students can expect 15 hours of class per week.
REC 100 » Introduction to the Study of Recreation and Leisure
REC 101 » Introduction to Recreation and Leisure Services
REC 120 » Program Management and Evaluation
AHS 107 » Sociology of Activity, Health, and Well-being
PSYCH 101 » Introductory Psychology
Starting right from the winter term of your first year you will start taking courses specific to your chosen subject of major interest:
- Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Recreation and Sport Business
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Tourism Development