This internship course requires that a student engage in a period of practical Therapeutic Recreation (TR) work at an approved site under the supervision of a qualified Therapeutic Recreation professional and an academic supervisor. During this practical experience, the student will research and analyze issues and complete required assignments related to TR practice. Normally, a full-time, consecutive, 15 week therapeutic recreation internship with a minimum of 560 hours is required. 

Getting Started

In order to successfully secure a placement, you must begin the process a minimum of 8-months prior to the term in which you wish to complete your placement. Additionally, you must have a secured REC 253 placement in order to begin your search for a REC 450 internship.

To begin planning your placement please fill out and submit the REC 450 getting started form prior to the following deadlines:

Placement Term Getting Started deadline
Fall  March 1st 
Winter  May 1st
Spring September 1st

You will be contacted after you have submitted the form to set up a meeting to discuss your placement.

Frequently asked questions