The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Cross-appointed to School of Environment, Resources, and Sustainability, Faculty of Environment
Office: Mathematics & Computer (MC) 1038
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 32612
My research analyzes human-nature relationships and advocates social justice and sustainability in contexts of tourism, leisure, and livelihoods. Trained as a human geographer and engaged scholar, I specialize in tourism and Indigenous Peoples, tourism ethics and responsibility, northern landscapes, and outdoor experiential education. My research is informed theoretically by relational perspectives of nature and morality, and draws on diverse qualitative methodologies and principles of community-based and participatory research. Since joining UWaterloo as a faculty member in 2011, I have grounded my research in settings ranging from Arctic communities and protected areas to urban outdoor programs and green spaces.
Graduate supervision and student opportunities
I am currently accepting applications from graduate students with related research interests:
- Tourism and Indigenous livelihoods
- Ethics and responsibility in tourism
- Nature-based tourism, leisure, and learning
- Tourism Development
- Ecotourism and communities
- Outdoor recreation
- Qualitative inquiry
- REC 230: Outdoor Recreation Resources Management
- REC 373: Qualitative Approaches to Leisure
- REC 673/773: Designing Advanced Qualitative Inquiry
BRLS, MA (Brock)
See Google Scholar for full list of publications.
- Grimwood, B. S. R. (2015). Advancing tourism’s moral morphology: Relational metaphors for just and sustainable Arctic tourism. Tourist Studies, 15(1), 3-26.
- Grimwood, B. S. R., Yudina, O., Muldoon, M., & Qiu, J. (2015). Responsibility in tourism: A discursive analysis. Annals of Tourism Research, 50, 22-38. (lead researcher and author)
- Grimwood, B. S. R. (2016). An ecofeminist narrative of urban nature connection. Leisure Sciences. DOI: 10.1080/01490400.2016.1216812
- Grimwood, B. S. R., & Caton, K. (2017). Pausing at the intersections of tourism moralities and mobilities: Some neighbourhood history and a traffic report. Tourist Studies, 17(1), 3-16.