In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the SEE Canada Grant is on hold. We encourage you to review options for 2021.
Staff Enhancement Experience (SEE) Canada Grant
The SEE Canada Grant provides an opportunity for University staff members to further their professional development through idea-exchange and learning alongside counterparts at other Canadian universities, colleges, research institutions or industry-partner organizations. Up to five proposals for a maximum of $5000 each are funded every year.
The SEE Canada Grant is funded through the Staff Excellence Fund and modelled after the Staff International Experience Fund (SIEF), which allows employees to gain experience abroad.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be employed as regular full-time staff (as defined by Policy 54)
- Be in a position classified under the University Support Group (USG) salary structure
- Worked at the University of Waterloo for at least two (2) consecutive years.
Employees may not apply if they:
- Have received a SEE Canada Grant or SIEF Award in the past ten years
- Are active members of the SEE Canada Grant Selection Committee
- Are Executive Council members
The purpose of the SEE Canada Grant is to allow University staff to expand their knowledge and return with the intention to apply what they’ve learned to their role at Waterloo. The expected impact that their experiences will bring to the University will be heavily weighted when it comes to recipient selection.
The SEE Canada Selection Committee will expect applications to include proposals for travel to one or more Canadian universities, colleges, research institutions or industry-partner organizations for a period of one to two weeks. The Grant may not be used to attend conferences. The following criteria will have a direct impact on the decision of the SEE Canada Grant Selection Committee:
- An application form that is clear and complete.
- A proposal for travel and placement that is likely to be executed as described.
- A proposal that is aligned with the University’s Strategic Plan or the Disrupting the 21st Century discussion document.
- Preference will be given to those who don’t travel frequently for work.
Applications are currently closed.
SEE Canada Committee
The SEE Canada Committee is responsible for advertising the SEE Canada Grant as well as selecting and awarding Grant recipients. This committee includes three members appointed by the Associate Provost, Human Resources and three members appointed by the President of the University of Waterloo Staff Association. The committee is governed under the terms of reference.