Description: Planning tutorials, labs, and guest lectures requires careful attention to goals, content, activities, and timing. In this workshop, you'll learn to streamline your lesson preparations and strengthen your teaching. Using a popular model of lesson planning called “BOPPPS,” you’ll learn to design lessons that align learning activities and assessments with learning outcomes. Together, we’ll analyze examples of successful lesson plans, and you'll begin to develop a lesson plan that is compatible with your teaching context and instructional style.
Facilitator: Jhotisha Mugon, CTE
1. Choose a straightforward topic (foundational concept or skill) from an introductory course in your field that can be taught in a 15 minute lesson. Your topic should be aimed at a novice learner in your field.
2. Write the main learning goal for your lesson (Start with: “By the end of this 15 minute lesson, my students will be able to …”.)
3. Bring your topic and the main learning goal to the workshop.
Throughout the workshop, we will work together on developing an effective lesson plan for your chosen topic. You may use this lesson plan if you intend to participate in Microteaching Sessions.
- Participants will receive an attendance credit if they arrive on time and stay until the end of the event.
- Limited to 25.
- It is strongly recommended that students also complete CTE217-Teaching Methods before starting microteaching sessions.
200 University Ave West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1