If you're interested in becoming a teacher, we offer three programs that combine a Waterloo degree with teaching experience or a Bachelor of Education.
- Fine Arts – Teaching Preparation Specialization – spaces are reserved for Waterloo students in Nipissing University's Bachelor of Education program
- French Teaching Specialization – earn a Bachelor of Arts from Waterloo and a Bachelor of Education from Nipissing University
- Mathematics/Teaching – provides classroom experience before you apply to a Bachelor of Education program
Other routes to teaching
The faculties of Arts, Mathematics, Science, Environment, and Health offer undergraduate programs that are common choices for careers teaching science, social sciences, humanities, languages, performing arts, math, geography and environmental studies, and more.
You can apply to a Faculty of Education (teacher's college) and pursue a career in teaching after completing a degree in many of these programs.
Tips for becoming a teacher
- Think about which subjects and/or grades you'd like to teach.
- Based on that, research the admission requirements for the Faculty of Education (Teacher’s College) you might be interested in. The Ontario College of Teachers lists the general requirements to become a teacher in Ontario.
- From there, you can work backwards and choose a Waterloo program that will get you the right courses and teachable subjects.
- You can always get advice by contacting the Undergraduate Recruitment Coordinator in the Waterloo faculty that offers your program of interest.