You can apply to a Faculty of Education (teacher's college) and pursue a career in teaching after completing a degree in many of Waterloo's programs. We offer three programs that combine a Waterloo degree with teaching experience or a Bachelor of Education.
- Fine Arts – Teaching Preparation Specialization; spaces are reserved for Waterloo students in Nipissing University's Bachelor of Education program
- French Teaching Specialization – earn a Bachelor of Arts from Waterloo and a Bachelor of Education from Nipissing University
- Mathematics/Teaching – provides classroom experience before applying to a Bachelor of Education program
Interested in teaching other subjects?
The Faculties of Arts, Mathematics, Science, Environment, and Applied Health Sciences offer dozens of programs that are common pathways to careers teaching science, social sciences, humanities, languages, performing arts, math, geography and environmental studies, and more.
Tips for becoming a teacher
- Think about which subjects and/or grades you'd like to teach.
- Based on that, research the admission requirements for the Faculty of Education (Teacher’s College) you might be interested in. The Ontario College of Teachers lists the general requirements to become a teacher in Ontario.
- From there, you can work backwards and choose a Waterloo program that will get you the right courses and teachable subjects.
- You can always get advice by contacting the Undergraduate Recruitment Coordinator in the Waterloo faculty that offers your program of interest.