- 1 larger loaf white bread
- 12 eggs, 6 whole 6 yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1L 35% Cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Dice up the bread and allow to air dry for a day. Alternatively dice the bread and dry out in a 250° oven for 10 minutes.
- Add cream to a pot and add a half-cup of sugar and vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl; add the eggs and the other half-cup of sugar. Whisk together.
- Heat the cream and sugar at medium heat until it is just about to boil.
- Slowly, adding a little at a time, add the hot cream to the eggs, whisking constantly. Do not cook your eggs!
- Add bread to the custard mix until it is mostly absorbed. Allow the bread to absorb the mix for 30-60 minutes.
- Place in a baking vessel large enough to hold your mix. I prefer a 11” springform pan. Grease the sides and place a piece of parchment on the bottom. Cover the top with parchment paper and tin foil.
- Set your pan into a water bath. A water bath is a larger baking vessel that you can fill halfway with water. *This step is optional
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, remove top foil and parchment paper and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool until you can handle, approximately 1 hour, slice and enjoy.