First-year courses and beyond
You may select the advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
- MATH 135 – Algebra for Honours Mathematics
- MATH 137 – Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics
- Choose one of:
- One communication skills course
- One additional course. Possible choices include PSYCH 101 – Introductory Psychology which is a graduation requirement for the Mathematics/Teaching plan and recommended for other Major/Teaching plans.
January to April
After first year
You'll take a variety of upper-year courses in math and computer science, as well as additional courses in a second teaching subject. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Advisors are here to help
With so much flexibility, you might have a lot of questions. We're here to help! If you're applying for admission, contact Laura Jane Watkins our Faculty of Mathematics recruitment coordinator.
Once you're a Waterloo student, you'll have access to academic advisors who can help you
- choose your courses,
- select minors and specializations,
- ensure that you're meeting the requirements for your degree, and more.