Civil engineering deals with the design, construction, and management of city infrastructure, buildings, and transportation systems. As a civil engineer, you might design bridges, highways, airports, tunnels, water supply networks, waste water treatment, and pollution-control facilities.
Waterloo is home to the one of the largest civil engineering programs in Canada, which gives you access to a huge range of courses. You'll also have access to high-tech simulation labs where you can learn how engineers test risks before physically starting a project.
Your education and experience will be among the broadest of the engineering disciplines. You'll have the opportunity to work with students in other Engineering programs to enhance your knowledge and to give you an edge upon graduation.
About Civil Engineering
- Available as a co-op program only
- Starts in first year so apply directly to this program on your application
- Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering
- Offered by the Faculty of Engineering
- Waterloo ranks 4th in Canada and top 100 in the world for Civil Engineering (QS World University Rankings 2017)
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April
What other courses will you take?
- See the range of courses available in Civil Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Site Supervisor, Bridgecon Construction Ltd.
- Junior Project Coordinator, Aecon Industrial
- Lines Engineering Team Member, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc
- Junior Project Engineering, Eastern Construction Company Limited
- Program & Project Management Support, Stantec Inc.
- Geotechnical Engineering, Hatch Mott MacDonald
- Construction & Operations Engineering Student, Bilfinger Berger Project Investments Inc
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August
- Structural Engineer, AA-E Engineering Group Ltd.
- Coastal Engineer, Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers
- Structural Designer, Blackwell
- Project Manager, EllisDon Corporation
- Junior Water Resources Engineer, Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd.
- Tunnel Engineer, GHD
- Subdivision Designer, Counterpoint Engineering
- Hydraulic Specialist, HydraTek & Associates Inc.