Make the world your sandbox. (Hardhat included.)
Bring on the bulldozers! In one of Canada’s largest civil engineering programs, you’ll learn to design and maintain the massive infrastructure we all depend on: bridges, highways, airports, tunnels, dams, pollution-control facilities, and more.
This is a degree with lots of flexibility. Once you’ve completed your foundational courses, you can choose from a wide variety of technical electives in structural, transportation, geotechnical, and water/environmental engineering.
You’ll apply your knowledge during your 6 co-op work terms. This is your chance to test drive different career options: work for major construction and engineering companies, get experience with local or provincial governments, or spend a term abroad.
You’ll graduate ready to create structures — in Canada or overseas — that stand the test of time.
Learn simulation skills
At Waterloo, you'll have access to high-tech simulation labs where you’ll learn how to test risks before any shovels hit the ground.
Create a concrete canoe
Compete nationally and internationally! Join one of Waterloo’s student design teams to engineer the best concrete toboggans and canoes, steel bridges, and more.
About the Civil Engineering program
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
Civil Engineering admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
First-year Civil Engineering courses
September to December
January to April
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Civil Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Civil Engineering courses
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Site Supervisor
- Junior Project Engineering
- Program & Project Management Support
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Construction & Operations Engineering Student
Sample co-op employers
- Bridgecon Construction Ltd.
- Aecon Industrial
- SNC-Lavalin Group Inc
- Eastern Construction Company Limited
- Stantec Inc.
- Hatch Mott MacDonald
- Bilfinger Berger Project Investments Inc
Careers in Civil Engineering
- Structural Engineer, AA-E Engineering Group Ltd.
- Coastal Engineer, Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers
- Structural Designer, Blackwell
- Project Manager, EllisDon Corporation
- Junior Water Resources Engineer, Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd.
- Tunnel Engineer, GHD
- Subdivision Designer, Counterpoint Engineering
- Hydraulic Specialist, HydraTek & Associates Inc.
Possible professional designation
Learn more about Civil Engineering
- Visit the Civil Engineering website