Make the world your sandbox. (Hardhat included.)
Bring on the bulldozers! In one of Canada’s largest civil engineering programs, you’ll learn to design and maintain the massive infrastructure we all depend on: bridges, highways, airports, tunnels, dams, pollution-control facilities, and more.
This is a degree with lots of flexibility. Once you’ve completed your foundational courses, you can choose from a wide variety of technical electives in structural, transportation, geotechnical, and water/environmental engineering.
You’ll apply your knowledge during your 6 co-op work terms. This is your chance to test drive different career options: work for major construction and engineering companies, get experience with local or provincial governments, or spend a term abroad.
You’ll graduate ready to create structures — in Canada or overseas — that stand the test of time.
Learn simulation skills
At Waterloo, you'll have access to high-tech simulation labs where you’ll learn how to test risks before any shovels hit the ground.
Create a concrete canoe
Compete nationally and internationally! Join one of Waterloo’s student design teams to engineer the best concrete toboggans and canoes, steel bridges, and more.
About Civil Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2016)
Offered through the
Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Civil Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Site Supervisor, Bridgecon Construction Ltd.
- Junior Project Coordinator, Aecon Industrial
- Lines Engineering Team Member, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc
- Junior Project Engineering, Eastern Construction Company Limited
- Program & Project Management Support, Stantec Inc.
- Geotechnical Engineering, Hatch Mott MacDonald
- Construction & Operations Engineering Student, Bilfinger Berger Project Investments Inc
Careers in Civil Engineering
- Structural Engineer, AA-E Engineering Group Ltd.
- Coastal Engineer, Baird & Associates Coastal Engineers
- Structural Designer, Blackwell
- Project Manager, EllisDon Corporation
- Junior Water Resources Engineer, Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd.
- Tunnel Engineer, GHD
- Subdivision Designer, Counterpoint Engineering
- Hydraulic Specialist, HydraTek & Associates Inc.
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Civil Engineering website