You love sports. So make it your career.
Canada has a multi-billion dollar sports industry. To excel in it, you need a solid understanding of recreation and the business smarts to develop and deliver successful products or services.
Whether you dream of working for a major league hockey team, bringing recreational programs to low-income communities, developing a sports marketing program to attract new audiences, or running your own athletic gear startup, you’re going to need a strong foundation in business.
Waterloo’s one-of-a-kind degree in Recreation and Sport Business gives you just that.
Recreation and Sport Business admission requirements
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Any Grade 12 U English (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
Admission average: Low 80s (co-op and regular)
We recommend completing the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements for Recreation and Leisure Studies.
How to apply
Apply to Recreation and Leisure Studies and choose Recreation and Sport Business as your major.
September to December
January to April
After first year
About half of the classes you’ll take will be Recreation and Leisure Studies courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Apply via Recreation and Leisure Studies
Earn a Bachelor of Arts in Recreation and Sport Business
Co-op = relevant paid work experience
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Recreation program assistant
- Promotions & events coordinator
- Tournament operations assistant
- Marketing outreach events associate
- Outdoor education assistant
- Athletics and recreation sport marketing
- Community recreation facilitator
- Sports management coordinator
Sample co-op employers
- St Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton
- Ontario March of Dimes
- City of Waterloo
- Golf Canada
- City of Markham
- Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group
- Toronto District School Board
- University of Waterloo
In Canada for hospitality & leisure management research
Offered by the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Only Recreation and Sport Business degree in Canada
Customize your Recreation and Sport Business degree
You can also include one of the minors available to all Waterloo students. Popular areas of focus for Recreation and Sport Business students include Event Management, Speech Communication, and Human Resource Management.
What can you do with a degree in Recreation and Sport Business?
Waterloo Recreation and Sport Business graduates commonly pursue careers in communications and events management, game operations, and more. They frequently work for sports and entertainment companies and sports teams.
- President of Hockey Operations & General Manager – Edmonton Oil Kings
- Communications Manager – Pretty River Sports & Entertainment
- Coordinator, Game Operations – Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
- Defensive, Special Teams Quality Control Coach – Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club
- Recreation Facilitator – Revera
- Club Support Coordinator – Kin Canada
- Membership Director – YMCA
Build your business expertise
Along with courses from our top-ranked Recreation and Leisure Studies department, you'll gain essential skills in marketing, communications, finance, management, and more.
Study at Disney World
Pack your sunscreen! Apply for our exchange with the University of Florida and Walt Disney World Resort. Learn about hospitality, marketing, and event management in one of the world’s top tourism destinations.