It’s a simple equation: math + business = career success.
Use your analytical know-how to solve problems in a rapidly changing technology environment. If you want more advanced quantitative and technical skills than are available through traditional business programs, this program is designed for you.
You’ll earn a Bachelor of Mathematics by taking courses from 2 prestigious institutions: math courses from Waterloo's Faculty of Mathematics and business courses from the School of Business and Economics at nearby Wilfrid Laurier University.
When you graduate, you’ll have all the skills you need for a career as an analyst, information specialist, trader, or many other options.
2 years of work experience
Gain 20 months of paid work experience through our co-op program, the largest of its kind in North America, or fast track your degree by choosing the regular system of study.
Social and academic support
Party with your Pink Tie profs. Test your limits in a 24-hour games marathon. Make professional contacts at speed networking events. Waterloo’s Mathematics Society organizes all kinds of academic and social activities throughout the year.
About the Mathematics/Business Administration program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics in Business Administration
1st faculty of mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in mathematics
Mathematics/Business Administration admission requirements
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Grade 11 Introduction to Computer Science is recommended
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
First-year Mathematics/Business Administration courses
You may select the advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra for Honours Mathematics
MATH 137 - Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics
Choose one of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
1 communication skills course
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1 for Honours Mathematics
MATH 138 - Calculus 2 for Honours Mathematics
Choose one of:
• CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
• CS 136 - Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
1 communication skills course
After first year
In upper years, you'll take courses in statistics, finance, and computer science in combination with business and economics courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Customize your Bachelor of Mathematics in Business Administration degree
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Portfolio analyst intern
- Business systems analyst
- Data analyst
- Marketing/business development
- Project management officer
- Software developer
- Technical finance analyst
Sample co-op employers
- Ontario Ministry of Finance
- RBC Global Technology Operations
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation
- ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc
- CIBC/Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- CGI Group Inc
- Microsoft Corporation
Careers in Mathematics/Business Administration
- Hedge Fund Analyst, Albourne Partners (Singapore)
- Aviation Analyst, Citigroup
- Derivatives Analyst, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Equity Trader, Swift Trade Securities
- Director, Corporate Planning, Ontario Energy Savings Corporation
- Financial Analyst, Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation
- Fund Accountant, Citco (Canada)
- Information Specialist, Longview Solutions
- International Tax Manager, KPMG LLP