Predict the future — without a crystal ball.
How will the stock market perform next February? How much will insurance companies pay out in claims next year? With an Actuarial Science degree from Waterloo, you’ll have the answers.
In this program, you'll take courses such as the mathematics of finance, risk theory, and pension mathematics taught by professional actuaries in one of North America’s top actuarial schools.
Meanwhile, adding computer science, arts, and various math electives will give you the combination of technical and communication skills that employers are looking for.
Whether you choose the regular stream or the co-op stream, you'll graduate ready to enter a great job market with great prospects and high starting salaries.
Skip the professional exams
Because the Canadian Institute of Actuaries has accredited Waterloo’s Actuarial Science program, you can be exempted from several of their exams.
Social and academic support
Through the student-run Actuarial Science Club, you can find a mentor, get career advice, or meet new friends over board games and bubble tea.
About the Actuarial Science program
Apply via Mathematics and choose Actuarial Science as your major
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics in Actuarial Science
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in Mathematics
Actuarial Science admission requirements
- Apply to Mathematics and choose Actuarial Science as your major at the end of first year.
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission.
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
First-year Actuarial Science courses
You may also select advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra
MATH 137 - Calculus 1
Choose 1 of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science 1
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
MTHEL 131 - Introduction to Actuarial Practice
1 communication skills course
January to April
After first year
The majority of your required courses will be actuarial science courses with additional courses in statistics and mathematics. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Customize your Bachelor of Mathematics degree in Actuarial Science
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
Sample co-op job titles
- Finance and accounting analyst
- Web solutions developer/technical analyst
- Defined benefits pension administrator
- Programmer enterprise portfolio management
- Actuarial analyst
- Data scientist
- Insurance associate
Sample co-op employers
- Parmalat Canada
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Morneau Shepell
- Canada Life Financial Corporation
- Intact Financial Corporation
- London Life Insurance Company
- Munich Reinsurance Company
Careers in Actuarial Science
- Actuarial Supervisor, Manulife Indonesia
- Business Assessment Analyst, AEGON
- Actuarial Analyst, Swiss Re Life & Health Canada
- Actuarial Analyst, Canadian Media Production Association
- Valuation Team Lead, Manulife Financial
- Actuary, AIG Global Investment
- Actuarial Consultant/Analyst, Mercer Oliver Wyman
- Actuarial Executive, Prudential Assurance Company Singapore