Build models to save the world. No assembly required.
Use your understanding of mathematical concepts to solve complex problems in engineering, medicine, business, and science, from the behaviour of ocean waves to the structure of space-time.
In Applied Mathematics, you’ll deepen your knowledge of calculus and differential equations: the foundation for most mathematical models. You’ll have lots of opportunity to put those tools to work on real-life problems — in the classroom and, if you choose co-op, during your work terms.
Many of our Applied Mathematics graduates work in research, development, and consulting. Others pursue graduate studies in applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, or physics.
Either way, your Waterloo degree will open doors.
Get international experience
Round out your résumé and broaden your cultural perspective with a term abroad. Earn credits at universities in 18 different countries, or spend a work term with a company overseas.
Add research to your résumé
Spend a term working with a Waterloo professor as a research assistant — and perhaps get published in The Waterloo Mathematics Review, which showcases undergraduate research.
About the Applied Mathematics program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics degree in Applied Mathematics
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Waterloo is an international leader in Mathematics
Applied Mathematics admission requirements
- Apply to Mathematics and choose Applied Mathematics as your major at the end of first year.
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission.
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
First-year Applied Mathematics courses
You may select advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
January to April
After first year
The majority of your required courses will be applied mathematics courses, with foundational courses in mathematics. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Applied Mathematics courses
Customize your Bachelor of Mathematics degree in Applied Mathematics
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor (or minors) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Junior Marketing Analyst
- Mobile Application Developer
- Undergraduate Research Assistant
- Ice Model Research Assistant - Data Assimilation
- Software Engineering
Sample co-op employers
- Ontario Lottery & Gaming Corporation
- Communitech Technology Association
- University of Waterloo
- Environment Canada
- Delcan Corporation
Careers in Applied Mathematics
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Houston
- Research Analyst, ITG Canada Corp.
- Computing Consultant, University of Waterloo
- Derivative Analyst, Prism Valuation Inc.
- Programmer, ClevrU Corporation
- QA Analyst, IBM Canada
- Teacher, Upper Grand District School Board
- Business Data Analyst, Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
- Database Analyst, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada