Study computer science in one of North America's leading technology centres.
Waterloo professors and graduates have created 300 spin-off companies and the surrounding region is home to more than 600 technology companies that have $18 billion in annual revenue. Companies with offices in the region include BlackBerry, Google, OpenText, Dalsa, Certicom, Waterloo Maple, and iAnywhere Solutions.
Learn from 70 professors with various research interests to help you explore this vast field. Tailor your studies by choosing courses, options, or electives specific to your interests.
You can also gain 20 months of paid work experience through our co-op program, the largest of its kind in the world, or fast track your degree by choosing the regular system of study.
Waterloo graduates are found in leading technology companies and as professors at other top universities around the world, including Carnegie Mellon University and the University of California at Berkeley.
About the program
- Regular and co-op
- Entry program (starts in first year, so you apply directly to this program on your application)
- Earn a Bachelor of Computer Science or a Bachelor of Mathematics in Computer Science
- Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
- Waterloo ranks 24th in the world in Computer Science (QS World University Rankings 2015)
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions
- Calculus and Vectors
- Any Grade 12 U English
- One other 4U course
- Recommended: Grade 11 U Introduction to Computer Science
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database.
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the high 80s
- You're strongly encouraged to write the Euclid Mathematics Contest.
Sample co-op positions
|Web Developer/Architect||The Steele Group|
|Mobile/Cloud Developer||Clearbridge Associates Limited|
|Bioinformatics Database developer||Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada|
|Data Management Officer||Ontario Ministry of the Environment|
|Software Engineering||General Dynamics Canada|
|Software Design||SeaWell Networks Inc|
|Software Development Engineering||Microsoft Corporation|
Co-op work/study sequences
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve. You can choose from 4 different co-op sequences.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5|
|Risk Modelling Analyst||Toronto-Dominion Bank|
|Business Analyst||Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.|
|Agile Engineer||Pivotal Labs|
|Developer Advocate||Google Inc.|
|Program Analyst||Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care|
|Programmer||Harry Rosen Inc.|
|Quality Assurance Analyst||IBM Canada Limited|
|Lead Developer||BMO Bank of Montreal|
Possible professional designation
- Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS)