As a Waterloo graduate, you'll be well prepared to pursue your dream health-care profession. With Waterloo's 100+ programs, our School of Optometry and Vision Science, and our co-op Pharmacy program, Waterloo can help you get there.
4 steps to a career in health
1. Research the requirements
Research the health profession school of choice to learn about the admission requirements. Ensure the undergraduate programs that you’re considering will allow you to meet those requirements. Here are some resources.
2. Consider the possibilities
Once you find the requirements for your profession of interest, you can then search for programs that interest you and that will meet the requirements. Waterloo offers many programs that are popular choices for students interested in health professions.
- Chiropractor: Kinesiology
- Dentist: Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Honours Science, Life Physics
- Epidemiologist: Health Studies
- Kinesiologist: Kinesiology
- Medical Physicist: Life Physics
- Naturopath: Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Health Studies, Honours Science
- Nurse: Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Health Studies, Honours Science, Kinesiology
- Occupational Therapist: Health Studies, Kinesiology, Psychology, Therapeutic Recreation
- Optometrist: Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Honours Science
- Pharmacist: Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Honours Science
- Physician: Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Health Studies, Honours Science, Kinesiology, Life Physics
- Physiotherapist: Kinesiology
- Psychiatrist: Psychology
- Psychologist: Psychology
- Speech Pathologist: Health Studies, Honours Science, Psychology
3. Learn how long it will take to meet the requirements
Some programs will help you meet the requirements for your health profession program faster than others. You may need to use your electives to obtain the required courses. Contact us to learn more about Waterloo programs.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-888-4567, ext. 36243
Email email@example.com or call 519-888-4567, ext. 36220
4. Study what you love
Choose one of Waterloo's health-related programs and study your passion! Over time, you’ll refine your interests and learn about the many career options available in health-related fields – some may be brand new to you. Maximize your future possibilities by considering all the career paths available to graduates of your program.
Why study health at Waterloo?
Learn by doing
More than 120 courses include labs – and you'll learn even more through North America's largest co-op program.
Receive outstanding support
Advisors can help you plan the steps towards your dream career. Meet like-minded students through clubs such as pre-med, pre-optometry, or pre-pharmacy.
Customize your path
Choose from 9 programs in 2 faculties – plus many more specializations, minors, and options. After 2 or 3 years of university, you can apply to one of our professional programs: Pharmacy and Optometry.
Participate in research
Download or request our Pathways to Health Professions brochure to learn more about preparing for careers in health.