With more than 30,000 students from 120 countries at Waterloo, you'll meet students, professors, and researchers from across Canada and around the globe.
Questions about the Government of Canada's recently-announced visa cap for international students?
We're committed to supporting our international students, and we'll share updates as we learn more.
Why international students choose Waterloo
- Outstanding reputation: International and national rankings place Waterloo among the world's top universities for many of our programs.
- Co-op (paid internship): North America's largest co-op (paid internship) program is open to Canadian and international students.
- Career success: Waterloo is ranked number one in Canada in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022.
Connect with a student
Have questions about what it's like to study at Waterloo? Ask a current student.
Join our mailing list
Have tips and articles emailed to you once a month, including information specifically for international students.
Contact a recruiter
Have questions about programs or applying to Waterloo? Contact our international recruitment team.
High school students outside of Canada and international students in Canada are invited to our online drop-in sessions. Join anytime and ask our international recruitment team about programs, applying, co-op, residence, scholarships, and more. Convert your timezone to Waterloo's.
- Mondays: between 3 and 6 p.m. Eastern Time
- Tuesdays: between 12 and 3 p.m. Eastern Time
- Wednesdays: between 8 and 11 a.m. Eastern Time
If you have legal and immigration questions, please contact the Student Success Office.
Services to help you succeed
- Scholarships and awards specifically for international students
- Free immigration consulting
- Learn from other international students through a peer community
- Stay on campus during holidays through a special program for international students
- Paid part-time jobs on campus for students who need financial assistance
- Resources to help you improve your English
- An online student guide that covers before you arrive through first year
A city for students
Home to two universities and a college, the city of Waterloo caters to the 50,000 students who call the area home. Enjoy shops, restaurants, and festivals throughout the year.
Connect with friends from home
It's great to meet new friends, but sometimes it's nice to connect with students from home. Among our 250+ clubs are the African Student Association, Indian Cultural Association, Muslim Students' Association, and more.
Where is Waterloo?
Distances to nearby cities
- 118 km (73 miles) to Toronto
- 150 km (110 miles) to Niagara Falls
- 290 km (180 miles) to Detroit
- 640 km (400 miles) to Montreal
Flights from Toronto to
- Boston or New York City: 90 minutes
- Vancouver or San Francisco: 5 hours
- London: 7 hours
- Dubai: 13 hours
- Delhi: 16 hours
- Singapore: 21 hours
Frequently asked questions
What programs does Waterloo offer?
Not sure what to study? Check out our tips on how to choose a university program.
Where will I call home?
Waterloo offers various on-campus residence options that comes with perks such as social opportunities, study spaces, and more!
Get answers to frequently asked questions by international students
If you have questions that aren't answered, please feel free to contact our international recruitment team.