The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program, offered as a full-time or part-time professional degree program, will prepare you for ethical, critically reflective, anti-oppressive, competent and accountable social work practice.
The program is offered by Renison University College, located on Waterloo's main campus. Your degree will be awarded by the University of Waterloo.
- The successful completion of a related (e.g., sociology, social science, psychology, women and gender studies, equity studies, and/or other social science) three or four-year undergraduate university degree (preferably Bachelor of Arts or equivalent) from an accredited university, with a 70% average. If you have questions about the eligibility of your undergraduate degree, please contact our BSW admissions coordinator.
- Minimum 70% average in university studies.
- Three letters of reference, a résumé, and a personal statement which demonstrates sufficient practical experience and personal suitability are required.
Pathway for college graduates
Graduates of college-level Social Service Worker programs can apply for conditional admission to the Bachelor of Social Work program at Waterloo. Admission is conditional based on the completion of Waterloo's undergraduate degree in Social Development Studies.
What courses will you take?
See the range of courses available in the Bachelor of Social Work program. You can also view a list of the courses you’ll be required to take for your degree.
Careers of Social Work graduates
- Children's Service Worker, Children's Aid Society
- Social Worker, Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- Teacher, Brigadoon Public School
- Area Counsellor, Veterans Affairs Canada
- Children's Service Worker, Catholic Children's Aid Society
- Intake Worker, Children's Aid Society
- Rehabilitation Counsellor, Rehabilitation Management Inc.
- Crisis Support Worker, Canadian Mental Health Association
- Social Worker, Family & Children's Services Guelph/Wellington County
- Social Worker, Kinark Child and Family Services
Connect with us
Do you have questions? Send us an email at email@example.com.
Ready to learn more?
- Visit the Social Work website