First-year courses and beyond
Programs/majors in the Faculty of Science start right in first year. To select your program with confidence, here’s some handy info to get you started.
September to December
- AFM 112 – Analytical Methods for Business 1
- AFM 191 – Foundations for Financial Reporting
- BIOL 130 – Introductory Cell Biology
- BIOL 240/BIOL 240L – Fundamentals of Microbiology/Lab
- ENGL 193/SPCOM 193 – Communication in the Sciences
NOTE: Courses listed are for the 2021/2022 school year
January to April
After first year
About a third of the classes you’ll take will be Biology and the other two thirds will be Accounting and Financial Management courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas.
View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
Types of courses you'll take
This is a general guideline. The ratio of courses may change slightly from year to year.
Skills you'll develop with this major
- Financial analysis and audit
- Project management
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Time management
- Corporate analysis
This isn't an exhaustive list – rather a glimpse into the skills this major can provide.
Your experience will be unique, and the skills you develop will depend on your goals; which courses you take; and your involvement with any clubs, jobs, or research projects.
Advisors are here to help
With so much to think about, you might have a lot of questions. We're here to help! If you're applying for admission, contact our Faculty of Science recruitment co-ordinator.
Once you're a Waterloo student, you'll have access to academic advisors who can help you
- choose your courses,
- select minors and specializations,
- ensure that you're meeting the requirements for your degree, and more.
- Overview of Waterloo's Biotechnology/Chartered Professional Accountancy degree program.
- Download a Faculty of Science brochure.