Go way beyond basic arithmetic.
Study the power, elegance, “how,” and “why” of math. In this rigorous program, you'll cover the spectrum of mathematics — from classical to modern — including geometry, number theory, and logic.
Because Pure Mathematics classes are among the smallest and most cohesive in the Faculty of Mathematics, you’ll get to know both your classmates and your profs. (Profs who are doing ground-breaking research when they’re not in the classroom.)
Pure Mathematics will provide you with problem-solving skills that can be applied in industry, business, government, or graduate school.
Add research to your résumé
Apply for an Undergraduate Student Research Award and you could spend 4 paid months working in pure mathematics with a professor.
Have fun with other mathies
Join the club! The Pure Math Club organizes academic and social events ranging from student/prof mixers and math contests to board game nights and potlucks.
About the Pure Mathematics program
Gain 2 years of paid experience through the co-op program
Offered by the Faculty of Mathematics
Earn a Bachelor of Mathematics degree
1st Faculty of Mathematics in North America
Available as a major and minor
Waterloo is an international leader in Mathematics
Pure Mathematics admission requirements
- Apply to Mathematics and choose Pure Mathematics as your major.
- An Admission Information Form is required for admission.
To be considered for entrance scholarships in the Faculty of Mathematics, you must write one or both of the contests. If you complete both contests, we'll use the results of the contest in which you performed best.
First-year Pure Mathematics courses
You may select advanced-stream courses for algebra, calculus, and computer science if you meet the requirements.
September to December
MATH 135 - Algebra for Honours Mathematics
MATH 137 - Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics
Choose one of:
• CS 115 - Introduction to Computer Science
• CS 135 - Designing Functional Programs
1 communication skills course
January to April
MATH 136 - Linear Algebra 1 for Honours Mathematics
MATH 138 - Calculus 2 for Honours Mathematics
Choose one of:
• CS 116 - Introduction to Computer Science 2
• CS 136 - Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
After first year
The majority of your required courses will be pure mathematics courses, with additional courses in mathematics. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
View a list of courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year Pure Mathematics courses
Customize your Bachelor of Mathematics degree in Pure Mathematics
You can also add additional areas of interest and expertise by including a minor(s) as part of your degree.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op job titles
- Business analyst assistant
- Data quality engineering
- Instructional support assistant
- Policy and research assistant
- QA automation developer
- Research assistant
- Security & distributed system engineer
Sample co-op employers
- Department of National Defence
- Imagine Communications Corp
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Natural Resources Canada
- VersaCold Logistics Services
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology
Careers in Pure Mathematics
- Data Scientist, Chango
- Software Engineer, Facebook Canada
- Associate Data Analyst, Sun Life Financial
- Infrastructure Software Engineer, Square
- Client Management, Citigroup Fund Services Canada
- Trader, Millennium Advisors, LLC
- Vice President, TD Asset Management
- Operations Analyst, Citco (Canada)