Your academic student record

Your academic student record is maintained, by the Registrar's Office and is accessible by you, using your Quest account. Some of the most common questions asked and answers, are provided to help you understand your record.

How do I calculate my term average?

The term average is credit weighted and calculated as,

Term GPA = ∑ (grade * credit) / ∑ credit,

where grade is the course grade and credit is the course credit weighting. The typical credit weighting is 0.5, so 1A and 1B courses with weighting above 0.5 are weighted more heavily in the term average. If the credit weighting is the same for all courses, the term average simplifies to the arithmetic mean,

Term GPA = ∑ grade / number of grades

It is important to realize that the term average implicitly measures the ability to manage a full course load. Raising a term average by 1% requires a 1% increase in all courses, or an equivalent accumulated increase in one course.


  1. Work-term reports are not included in the term average even though they have a credit weighting of 0.13. They are however, included as a failed course if they are graded unsatisfactory.
  2. Extra courses do not count in the term average (Term GPA) or in the term fail count.
  3. Term averages were historically integer values, whereas Quest now shows the Term GPA as a real number with 3 decimal places.
  4. The Accumulated GPA is included in the Quest record; however, it is not used in the Faculty of Engineering Promotion Rules.

What is the passing grade for an individual course?

Numeric grades in the Faculty of Engineering are integers from 0 to 100. (Note: some other Faculties use 32 as the lowest possible numeric grade). A passing course grade is from 50 to 100, and a failing course grade is from 0 to 49.

Work-term reports have four passing categories: Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, and Satisfactory; and one failing category: Unsatisfactory.

Co-op work terms and WatPD courses are graded as credit (CR) or no credit (NCR). Read more on this topic in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar under Academic Content and Evaluation.

What are the requirements to pass a term?

How can I check for errors in a course grade?

Students have the right to verify their course grade with their instructors. Please see Grade Verification for more information.

How long after a term can a grade be revised?

A course grade can be revised up to one year past the official graded date of the term in which the course was taken. Typically grades are revised with one term or four months after the fully-graded date. Please see Grades in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar.

Can I do extra work after a term is complete to increase my course grade?

No, course work is due by the last day of lectures in the term of interest. The end-of-lectures and final exam dates represent academic deadlines for learning and applying your knowledge of your courses. Common course work and deadlines normalizes the experience of all students in a course.

The only exception would be when INC (incomplete) grades are awarded due to illness or significant extenuating circumstances, which allows a student to defer course work and/or the final exam.

What does a mark of INC or DNW mean on Quest?

General information on non-numeric grades is presented under Transcript Legend on the Registrar's Office website.

The grade INC stands for incomplete course work, which means that students have permission to extend the work beyond the term. If the work is not completed within six months from the end of the term, a grade of FTC (failure to complete) grade of 32 will be assigned.

The grade DNW stands for "Did not write examination, no credit granted" which means a student did not write the final exam in the course. It is important to note that the Faculty of Engineering does not consider this to be a formal grade, whereas the other Faculties consider it to be a grade of 32. Consequently Quest assigns a value of 32 to DNW grades. The Faculty of Engineering Examinations and Promotions Committee interprets DNW grades as abandoning the degree program, and awards a "Required to Withdraw from Engineering" academic decision. Students who miss the final exam with just cause are referred to the section on exam issues for missed exams.

What does the standing Decision Deferred mean on Quest?

This means that your term evaluation is incomplete due to one or more grades of INC (incomplete), DNW (did not write) or UR (under review) and therefore you may not proceed until the specified conditions are satisfied.

I have a Negative Service Indicator on Quest. What should I do?

Follow the instructions listed on the Quest website on how do I remove a hold.

When will I see my term grades and academic standing on Quest?

You will see your term grades after the end of the final exam period. You will see your term decision or academic standing at the official graded date for the term. Please see Important dates for the term of interest.